Energy Saving Gadgets

Hi,

I'm a bit of a gadget freak, and over the last couple of years have become interested in Energy Saving gadgets. I just bought a TreeGreen energy egg from Tesco, and it's probably the best one I have bought so far.

Does anyone else have or can anyone suggest other effective energy saving gadgets?

-------------------------------------

Reply to
ssmith1162

Hi,

I'm a bit of a gadget freak, and over the last couple of years have become interested in Energy Saving gadgets. I just bought a TreeGreen energy egg from Tesco, and it's probably the best one I have bought so far.

Does anyone else have or can anyone suggest other effective energy saving gadgets?

Reply to
Steven Smith

Everything electrical I own has an energy saving feature, which actually works, unlike such nonsense as the "TreeGreen energy egg". It's called an "Off Switch."

Huge

how much was it? It just seems to be a pir that controls a relay adaptor. Nothing really new about that technology just clever packaging. The only thing that would seem patentable is the fact it doesn't automatically power devices on when you re-enter the room.

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Starling

more power than you are trying to save.

Reply to
Alan

Heheheh, hahahah, no, stop it, you'll make me piss me pants.

FFS, what happened to the digital function of your fingers on a switch .. on/off ?

Reply to
Paul - xxx

A not very effective advertising campaign? (First ever posts to Usenet by this email address. Same puffy wording in posts elsewhere.) If this is part of a course at City of Glasgow College I think you need to work harder ;)

The description of the product is also IMHO close to misleading when it states "one button wirelessly switches ON or OFF appliances in a room or around your entire home." Possibly true but does not make clear extra sockets would need to be bought, that it will only control 12 sockets, and - for the rich folk with big houses - the range is 20m (and I wonder if that's delivered through stone).

Reply to
Robin

So how does it know that someone is still in the room, not moving?

tim

Reply to
tim....

I agree with Huge. What a pointless, wanky stupid idea. All of my appliances have "off" switches. When I leave a room I switch them off. Unlike the stupid device I can predict how long I will be away and decide if it is better to switch something off or not.

May I suggest that you fit your device to your computer then leave the room?

Reply to
Steve Firth

At £40 it almost certainly costs more than the electricity saved.

Reply to
Huge

It doesn't. It beeps to say it's about to power down and you have to wave to wake it up.

Reply to
Huge

In message , tim.... wrote

If it's a PIR sensor, it doesn't know that you are in the room and not moving. I also guess that if ALL your equipment is behind the "egg" sensor then it may detect when the room is empty but if you have ay equipment in front of the sensor it may not. For instance the fluctuating heat from a laptop in front of the sensor may be seen as a person in the room. The same may be true of any lighting not fitted to the ceiling (assuming that the vertical field of view of the sensor is small)

Reply to
Alan

It is.

Reply to
Huge

leads to:

is registered by:

Registrant: TreeGreen Limited brian o reilly 15 park way cumbernauld, cumbernauld G67 2BT GB

Domain name: TREEGREEN.NET

Administrative Contact: brian o reilly, brian o reilly snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com 15 park way cumbernauld, cumbernauld G67 2BT GB +44.8709220699 Fax: +44.1332864161

What's the betting that Brian O'Reilly and "ssmith1162" are the same person? :o)

Reply to
Gill Bates

Quote: "He got the idea for the Energy EGG after being ?driven to distraction? by his three young daughters continually leaving on games consoles, TVs and stereos when they had finished using them and the impact this was having on ever-increasing energy bills."

What, I wonder, are his three young daughters going to have to say when they are getting to the end of the latest level of their latest game on their games console and pause it to go to the loo only to come back and find that that Daddy's device has pulled the plug. Not shut down and saved all their scores but just pulled the plug on it. Domestic harmony

- NOT.

Reply to
Andrew May

I must admit I am having difficulties thinking what electrical products this would work with.

A table lamp maybe.

A computer, most definitely not. I want my computer shut down and not have the power whisked from under it. Besides I often leave the room while it is downloading the latest Linux distribution or other large file and would like to leave it to it.

Television, similarly not. If I leave the room to make a cup of tea during the adverts then I want it still on when I get back.

Kitchen appliances, nope. If I set the toaster running I want it to finish what it is doing and popup when it has finished whether I am in the kitchen or not. Ditto the kettle.

So, what could I use it for?

Reply to
Andrew May

They'll learn the valuable advice in the old saying "Save early, save often" !

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

impressing the neighbours?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No such luck here. SWMBO firmly believes that appliances only ever have an 'on' switch, in much the same manner as thermostats only ever have a Max setting :-(

Reply to
Terry Fields

Our house has individual timers/stats and motorised valves for every room and I have seriously considered making my own system (one central controller and numerous sensors, along with a couple of displays/keypads) to replace the timer-stats. If I ever do get round to it, I'll make sure that I can program in a display offset so that when the wife complains that she is cold (while I am boiling), I can point her to the display and "prove" how hot it is!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker