Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Alan Holmes" wrote in news:CWa5g.64$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net:

Pardon?

mike

Reply to
mike

In message , Guy King writes

Nah, they always claim x5, but I use x4 and that seems to be nearer the equivalent

Reply to
chris French

Maybe they could charge a premium for them!

Reply to
Andy Burns

Blimey, a fluorescent bulb is pricey enough. How much is an LED one going to be?

Reply to
RedOnRed

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in message news:44553fa5$0$1354$ snipped-for-privacy@reader.greatnowhere.com...

What sort of tungsten lamps? Halogen.. no chance, ordinary bulbs.. maybe, long life bulbs.. easily.

Reply to
dennis

Fluorescents are 47p. A LED one should be as cheap in a year or three.

Reply to
dennis

True. I had a few very old Philips ones that hummed. Now gone, replaced with cheap chinese made ikea blinders...

It's the small transformer inside at fault. A load of

Never a safety problem. That is a myth.

Reply to
Adrian C

Filth.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Though not for perhaps a good while yet.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

47p !!!

Quick, where?

Reply to
Zak

ASDA.

Reply to
dennis

Thats a victory of marketing over fact if ever I saw one. LEDs have never come anywhere near fluorescents in performance for the entirety of their existence. While we dont know which will win out in the long term, all the evidence points to it being fluorescent.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It's 49.5p (99pBOGOF) for 11/18W philips ones in Morrisons.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

The message from chris French contains these words:

Sorry, yes, I got that the wrong way round.

I had some alleged 20W lamps from Poundland once. They shed an eerie darkness which made everyone look like corpses in a horror film.

Reply to
Guy King

That's funny, my experience is the exact opposite.

Reply to
RedOnRed

The philips ones were *very* old, and humming with a rasp was noted towards the end of almost an 7 year life. My cheapie Ikea's 11W take an age to warm up but when they do, staring at the bulbs is painful. I've got two of those in a three bulb fitting - I daren't add the third :-(

Reply to
Adrian C

Why not get more Philips? The 'softone' ones are pretty good IMO.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

There are/were philips ones that are basically conventional ballasts, with the tube wrapped round the inductor, and a little starter, all inside a glass enclosure.

Not 'electronic' ballasts in the conventional sense.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Will probably do when/if this room gets redecorated, got more recent Philips bulbs elsewhere in more critical areas and they are fine. But at the moment one bulb missing out the fitting is a minor blot on the general mess of everything else, and I'm curious to see what the IKEA CFL bulbs do at near the end of their lives. (shhhh... don't tell me!)

Reply to
Adrian C