Energy saver bulbs and lampshade "max"

HI

I've recently purchased some Osram "Energy Saver" bulbs. On the box they have 15W = 75W by which I interpret that they use 15 watts but give out the amount of light we associate with traditional bulbs rated at 75 watts.

I have some lampshades which are labelled to only take bulbs up to a maximum of 60W.

Is it okay to use the "75W" but really 15W energy saver bulbs in these lampshades?

Thank you

Reply to
patrick j

That's based on the heat output of a "60W" bulb, not the light output. The extra efficiency of these compact fluorescents is because they don't waste so much input power as output heat. You'll get less than a quarter of the heat from a 15W fluorescent than from a 60W incandescent lamp.

Yes. They'

You'll also find that these Osram lamps (Lidl is cheap) give much closer to "75W" light output than most other brands of compact fluorescents.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The message from patrick j contains these words:

Never bothers me. It's heat they're worried about, and since LE bulbs run so much cooler than incadescent bulbs it's not a problem. What matters is the 15W bit.

Reply to
Guy King

Nearly. They use 15 watts but give out the amount of light as a

*softtone* 75W bulb. This is misleading marketing, unfortunately used by the whole industry. To get equivalent traditional bulb, multiply the power by 4, so they'll be similar to 60W bulbs.

Yes.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thats about it, yes.

The 'maximum' is really the heat generated. AFAIK energy saving bulbs run cooler than standard bulbs, which means they use less energy & last a lot longer. I think 11w is the nearest to 60w in terms of light.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thank you Andy, Guy, Andrew and Dave for your responses.

Reply to
patrick j

And by a remarkable coincidence about 1/4 of the light as well, no matter what the enthusiasts for all things fluorescent say.

Reply to
Steve Firth