Energy Prices

On Thursday 14 November 2013 14:26 Roland Perry wrote in uk.d-i-y:

No, you're inviting an aquaintence around...

I am right that you cannot tax deduct "entertaining" like the old days? In which case, definately not a business meeting...

I think the main point is that that sort of activity can never be proved after the fact so there is no way it can possibly affect your insurance.

Having a garage full of machines and a stock of customer jobs might be though...

Reply to
Tim Watts

In message , at 14:42:20 on Thu, 14 Nov 2013, Tim Watts remarked:

I don't deduct expenses for *any* kind old old-school entertaining, either in the home or outside. I don't even claim subsistence unless I'm out of the country. It's just too tedious to do the accounting for.

But it has its hazards - a tax inspector asked me last year "why didn't you claim any expenses for August 2010", and the answer was "because my industry was pretty much shut down for the summer holidays and I didn't leave home, everything I did was telecommuting".

So don't ever think the government wants to encourage telecommuting.

I don't make physical things for people (and never have from home).

Reply to
Roland Perry

My policy does cover it. I can't answer about anyone elses, because when taking my policy out, I was specifically asked if I work from home, to which I answered "Yes".

When I first started working from home, my employer insisted they had a letter from my insurer saying it was OK. When I contacted my insurer, they suggested I also inform my mortgage provider, which I did. Their reaction was a "Oh, OK", but they duly noted it.

Well, it won't happen wiht my policy. It might well make sense to actually check the policy, but the AXA standard buildings and contents seems to have the least silly clauses compared to some others.

Mine doesn't specifically exclude solar panels either. However, like cars, there is a section about alterations. I haven't access to the online version at the moment, but I will look in the dead-tree version later.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

According to my household policy, not if it is essentially office work. My garden shed does, however, have business insurance, as that is where I store stock.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

You have just reminded me why I have been enjoying reading posts more.

Top poster JJ -> KF

Reply to
polygonum

I told my insurer. All they asked was if the panels were screwed down.

Reply to
harryagain

Reply to
harryagain

Have you firsthand experience of this or are you quoting what you've read in the Daily Mail?

Reply to
harryagain

harry is teetering on the edge. JJ has been there since forever.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Are you agans knife crime because you have been personally stabbed to death, or are you quoting what you've read in the Daily Mail?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah, changing the topic again?

Reply to
harryagain

It's just electricity. Most houses already have it.

Reply to
harryagain

Can the solar panels be turned off from outside of the house?

Reply to
alan

The problem being that it's electricity that can't be turned off from ground level by just flipping a switch or tripping an RCD by spraying the wiring with water. We've been through this before.

Reply to
John Williamson

Shotgun?

Reply to
John Williamson

Cut the cable, turn the mains off and the inverter stops, there should be an isolator near the meter and inverter.

The DC is waterproof, as are the panels so water isn't a problem.

Reply to
dennis

a couple of barrels from the trusty purdey should do it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Are they still waterproof after a flame has played on the wires for a bit?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Its a bit late worrying about it if the roof has gone.

Has the main switch in the fuse box worked after the flames have got to it? Are the fire brigade going to dig up (or rather wait two hours for someone else) the incomer and cut it before they tackle a fire in case it hasn't? Do they even know where your main switch is?

You really should think about the conductivity of water and the actual chances of getting a decent shock, its not very high. It requires a fault, close proximity of the operator to the fault (a few inches) and for their protective clothing to not work at two points before you will get a current through them.

Reply to
dennis