Energy Prices

It needs to be continuously updated as a rolling programme. Not just ignored as per Bliar & co.

Reply to
harryagain

A nuke. ie ONE.

If it happens. There has been a series of cockups and failures in the one we're getting. Not one is operational, they are years behind schedule and costs have doubled.

Sound familiar? Want to bet it won't happen here?

Reply to
harryagain

No more than it used to, no.

I see that one straw man having failed up comes another...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The new nuke is huge. None of the existing infrastucture is big enough, it will have to be replaced. It is sited in the UKs most prolific tsunami zone too. An upwind of most of the UK in the case of a nuclear disaster.

The only benefit is that the locals have got used to the idea of a nuclear power station down the road. To be sensible it should be in Tunbridge Wells (or other similar central place where the people are disgusted.)

Reply to
harryagain

But its not worthwhile, because its not dispatchable.

Why would you pay twice or three times as much to an employee who takes up 1000 times as much office space, and whow comes into work when they feel like it, not when there is work to be done and can never be accurately relied upon to be there more than a few days ahead? And whose contract stipulates that they will get paid if they do come in, even if there is no work to do?

All it does is force you to sack permanent staff who have to become sub contractors, and because now THEY cant rely on the work being there day to day, they have to charge you more for their work anyway, and waste extra fuel coming into work when the renewables don't show up.

Or they simply move to a different country where such stupid arrangements don't exist and leave you high and dry.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No. Have you missed the point?

the owner of the panels pays the insurance premium, not the naughty boy with a shotgun.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

dream on.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don't tell lies harry. A simple glance at Gridwatch or BMreports shows that in fact it does.

And always has.

It is 16:45, the sun has just gone down and UK demand has risen 3GW from a steady 45GW all day to 48GW and will peak at slightly in excess of

50GW in about an hours time.

You are full of your usual drivel.

....of the utterly deluded.

For people who still; have intelligence and the ability to think, there is fossil and there is nuclear./

I can insatll a plaster of paris bust of naopleon in under 20 seconds harry. But it wont keep the lights on.

Ive doe more in ,my life than you have harry, and put far more back into the nation than you have. And employed more people and trained them too.

And I have never had a government grant for anything since I left university.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , at 16:29:22 on Wed, 13 Nov 2013, harryagain remarked:

Where is Peter Dawe when you need him?

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 16:36:03 on Wed, 13 Nov

2013, The Natural Philosopher remarked:

But to suggest that everything will be in place and not be a drain on the consumer, by 2030, does imply that ongoing maintenance will cease (let alone any ongoing replacement of generating plant that wears out after 2030).

This is one of the worst examples of "one last push [and then it's all done]" I've seen for ages.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Insurance doesn't work like that.

Reply to
dennis

It doesn't matter how efficient microgeneration is at this moment where I am. I've just turned the lights on, I'm about to do the ironing, then cook dinner, and Solar wouldn't work, as the sun's just set, and there's no wind, so that wouldn't help either. If you're about to suggest that I put some form of energy storage in place, you might like to compare the efficiency of that with the national grid. You'll not like the answer...

Luckily, I have a multifuel stove (Currently burning compressed sawdust at about 30p per kilowatt hour of heat.) to keep warm, LPG to cook with, and the fossil fuel burning and nuclear powered stations are powering the national grid adequately for when I go to bed and switch to electric heating.

I *could* also start the boat engine and use it to charge the batteries and run the inverter for mains power. It could run on biodiesel, but the cost....I also have the choice of a petrol generator if all else fails, although I *could* also run it on bioethanol if I could afford the price.

Reply to
John Williamson

No one in their right minds needs Peter Dawe.

"Channel tunnel Visionary".

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A third straw man! who ever said it was?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Insurance works exactly like that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , at 17:30:20 on Wed, 13 Nov

2013, The Natural Philosopher remarked:

The people in the news today saying customers will have to pay more until 2030.

What they aren't saying is customers will have to be *even* more after

2030, but the spin is clearly that suddenly the extra cost will melt away *in* 2030.
Reply to
Roland Perry

Can't you use an electric heater it would be cheaper.

Reply to
dennis

I think we can all reasonable expect virtually all prices to increase for the next seventeen years and beyond.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

naughty

Only if the panels are treated as a seperate risk, either as an itemised risk in a general buildings insurance policy or as a seperate policy for the panels. Otherwise the increased costs just get rolled up into everyones premiums.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

So how much did your solar panels contribute between 1630 and 1730 this evening? Todays peak demand was about 1700.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice