Energy consumption reduction opinions sought.

How old are you? Only, until a few years ago, I was on your side. Pointless nonsense, I thought. Then I got into my 50's and discovered that caffeinated coffee keeps me awake at night. *Then* I started getting gastritis, and discovered that caffeine and alcohol both aggravate it. All of a sudden decaff coffee doesn't seem so silly. Although I drink the real stuff in the mornings. (And indeed, I've just had an espresso and am halfway through a large mug of proper percolated.)

Reply to
Huge

Degreases the skin, I imagine. She should use a barrier cream and/or moisturiser. My wife comes from an "allergic" family (various members have psoriasis/asthma, etc.) and she cannot handle biological washing powders without developing horrific psoriasis on her hands.

My wife's not that bad, but some washing up liquids do affect her.

Reply to
Huge

Ah - but they were all nuts

Reply to
geoff

The tins had a pull-tab (IIRC) on the lid, which when activated started a small pyrotechnic charge in a tube that ran through the centre of the tin. It took about five minutes to burn through to the bottom, leaving a nice hot meal.

I understand the Army are now going over to two types of boil-in-the-bag meals...halal and vegetarian.

Reply to
Terry Fields

How does the kettle perform with the beefburger?

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Some I've used had a piercing pin that punctured a membrane between water and quicklime (AFAICR) in a tin that surrounded a smaller inner tin containing the food. Worked extremly well but limited choice of contents.

Found it -

John Weston

Thanks!. Sounds like the technology aligns with the period . (He'd mentioned something about sticking a bayonet in to start 'em off.)

Reply to
john

Interesting. Wot, no British beef then?. Jeez, I want 'ard men in my army, not god fearing wusses :)

Reply to
john

They don't like it up em.

Reply to
Harry Stottle

Don't panic.

Reply to
Clot

Well I was measureing the temp of our oven the other week. The duty cycle once up to temp was roughly 1 on, 2 off and the set point didn't make a great deal of difference (unless you changed it...).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

SImilar method here, 1 part rice 2 parts water by volume plus a splash more water into a pan, bring to just boiling turn off the heat and wait 10 mins for cooked rice. This on a solid hotplate 'lectric cooker not so sure it would work quite so well on a gas ring. The solid hot plate stores a fair bit of heat.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks for that.

So putting a bit more Celotex round it might help?

(*NOT* serious - but I wish that the oven were less expensive to run.)

Reply to
Rod

I had a mains kettle that would "work" with the 2A limited supply we had at uni. It never boiled the water.

Reply to
Mark

However the closeness of the TRV to the radiator has often make me suspect that they may shut off the rad before the room has reached the selected temperature.

Reply to
Mark

The best you can say about a TRV is that it is better than nothing. Abd its relatively cheap.

Accurate it aint..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How can that happen? You turn the valves up a bit at a time until you get the temp right. It may be 3 it may be 4.1 but it works.

You don't just say I will set it at 70F and dial in 3.1

Reply to
dennis

*grin* Except that nuts were packed in a different factory...
Reply to
Huge

I use between 90g (smallish portions for two) and 120g (large-ish portions for two) of rice.

Bring 500ml water (and perhaps a bay leaf or portion of peas) to boil in a largish saucepan. When boiling, add the rice and stir through two revs only. Place lid on saucepan and turn off heat.

After 11 minutes, tip rice into a strainer that fits on top of the saucepan, place strainer on saucepan, cover with lid and let drain for

2 minutes. Remove bay leaf and serve.

Note: Don't wash the rice, this method is aimed at dislodging the minimum amount of surface starch (which makes the rice stick together, hence the limited amount of stirring).

Have used this on a ceramic hob cooker (which holds the heat) and an old-fashioned 'ring' which didn't. Seemed to work fine for both.

Reply to
Terry Fields

I was thinking on the lines that the area around the rad will be warmer than the average room temperature. That, and with possible conduction from the pipes, causes the TRV to shut off while the room is colder. This could lead to a cycling on/off until the room is eventually hot enough to keep the TRV off. Adjusting the TRV won't help this.

Reply to
Mark