End of Deafening TV Adverts in the US

Care to try that one again?

But it's not ignored. All the ads on ITV 1 peak to 4dB below maximum. Programmes can peak to the maximum. That was what was agreed with the relevant body.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, yes. It's what happens with an automated playout system. Needed to save money.

Furthermore, the ads are made to modern standards - older TV progs have suffered by not being made with the same audio quality originally, and by having had several generations of copies made in the analogue domain.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Of course. The wider you open the window, the more the muck that comes in.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That is adjustable on many car radios. But do you really expect chopping into one service from another to be seamless? How would you manage that while listening to the PPP part of a symphony on R3?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not a problem for me. I have an amp set on "neighbour mode". It reduces the volume in real time for loud things. And no it's not like that godawful automatic level control you used to get on taperecorders that took a few seconds to get round to it.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

At least some thought went into the choice of music. I quite like music that fits the current scene, but not the vague crap that means nothing.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

That may well be true of some, particularly cheap, systems, but I took a lot of trouble choosing and setting it up. I knew we would be watching a lot of films, as the alternative was watching French television.

Fritz Lang almost entirely abandoned music in his films after sound arrived.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

It is extremely complex setting up such a system so the centre dialogue channel integrates with the FX ones. Even in the dubbing studio who made the original. All TV stuff is checked in mono for the correct balance between dialogue and music/FX - or rather was when I was doing it. Of course that's not to say it's always perfect, but it is more likely to be 'your' end if it's common there.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) explained on 13/12/2011 :

So they limit the peak and boost the average!

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

One little oddity I have noticed is HD sound seems to be much quieter than SD ... we usually watch TV at "15", but switching between BBC1 and BBC1HD (for example) I often have to double the volume to "30".

Wonder if this is a BBC thing, a TV thing, or a V+ thing ....

Reply to
Jethro

Adverts have sound? Who knew.

(On the few occasions when we watch commercial channels other than on the PVR (when we fast wind past them), we mute the sound during breaks.)

Reply to
Huge

Could be a number of things. On my set the digital output from the STB gives a different audio level is different from the SCART - on the same programme.

Other thing is the original agreed spec for digital sound was peak level would be transmitted 10dB below the theoretical peak level - to allow the odd mistake or whatever not causing excessive distortion. That of course didn't suit the 'loudness at all costs' brigade - and is ignored by some. Listen to commercial radio via FreeView and compare to TV for the proof.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Am I atypical then in that an overly-loud ad might make me notice a product - but if it comes to it I'll make a point of *not* buying that product and going with a competitor just because their ad is annoying?

Reply to
Jules Richardson

The real answer is simply not to watch any commercial TV. No matter how quiet or well made an ad is many will still complain. As they do about trails etc on the BBC. Must be human nature. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not *that* atypical, since I too will avoid products if their advertising is irritating.

(Are you listening, GoCompare?)

Reply to
Huge

That's why PVRs were invented.

Reply to
Huge

So, essentially, you are saying that the music does not sound too loud if you have the right sound setup, but that nobody in the real world is likely to achieve that. The answer would appear to me to be that the sound should be set for how the vast majority are going to watch these days - on a TV or from a DVD, which means making the music less intrusive.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

It is annoying because I need volume at about 20-ish usually but 45 - 50 for HD channels. I managed to find a setting where MPEG sound could be turned down (but not one for the HD sound except on SPDIF) so now there's still a difference but not so great. There is a setting that equalises the volume across channels but it seems to distort the sound at times. It seemd better to turn this on at suitable volume on HD rather than on SD so that the volume would be cut back on SD and not raised on HD.

Reply to
PeterC

To a considerable extent I agree. And my car radio allows two volume settings. But some TA are fairly OK, and others are deafening. They seem to have the voice at the same sort of level as R4 then add the volume of the music on top.

Reply to
polygonum

That was true for DD5.1 which uses compression to save space on the DVDs.

Blu-ray is a lot better if you use the uncompressed audio.

Reply to
dennis