End of bath

Working on a bathroom - the bath is about a foot shorter than the wall of the bathroom - in the space is the pipe from the WC to the outside wall. I am looking for ideas on how to deal with the gap. I noticed that there is a strip of wood moulded into the underside of the top rim of the end of the bath. Would this be suitable for a fixing a piece of ply to bridge the gap - then tiled? Any suggestions?

Reply to
John

It seems a shame to waste the space.

What about making a set of shelves to go at the end of the bath and use them for towel storage or perhaps make a small cupboard?

In any event, if you want to have a ply top, it would be better fitted to a frame on the floor than attempting to attach it to the bath.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes, definitely.

Also fix the ply to the wall, if you can, also wedge in some vertical studs under it, and plate all with 19mm ply (best) or MDF (reasonable)

Seal this to bath edge with silicone and THEN tile..covering the seal..and use grout to make up the join..now you see why all those anti-flex wooden posts are in there..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You do both. Bolting todays cheap crappo baths down SOLID and making up a wooden frame to carry them and replace the dreadful bath covers you get, is where its at..

In the last bathroom.I put the bath in and screwed it to the wall using L brackets..dug into the wall plasterboard so they made the studs..then built a complete wooden frame, after sticking scrap pieces of MDF to the bath with car body filler to stiffen its sides..this frame, once plated with 19mm ply and MDF stiffened the bath rim completely, and since it was hung off the main structural part of the hose, and the floor, stiffened up the FLOOR enough to be tiled..I had very flexible joists there..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher