End hip tile replace - how to do it pls?

My house roof end "hip tile" (think it's called that!) needs to be reset as the mortar filling & metal scroll retainer thing fell out into the guggering last week. (Brilliant grasp of the terminology eh!)

In the distant past I recall trying to fill one of these tiles-spaces but the mortar (which was a reasonable stiff mix) still kept falling out. I just couldn't get it to stay there. So I guess the proper way is to remove the tile, lay a mortar bed and set the tile in it? Is that basically the correct way to do it? Even if it is, it still seems to me that the mortar may fall out as is overhanging into space a certain amount. Any advice how to do all this - please?

I think the tile in question is a bit overlong - so how/what do I use to cut such a thing? I do have an angle grinder (somewhere) but only 1 tile :-)

Here's a pic of a nearby house which seems to have been done properly.

end-tile isn't cut at an angle as in the pic, but more simply, a kind of single backward slice.

Thank you for any help.

Reply to
dave

The 'retainer' you refer to is called a hip iron, and the 'hip tile' is a ridge tile, if you still have the old hip iron, it can be re used, if not, then go and get one from a builders or roofing merchant.

Take the ridge tile and the hip iron up to the roof and place the ridge in place and slide the hip iron underneath so that the bottom part of the ridge tile is touching the iron. If it's overlapping the gutter or it doesn't sit right, you may need to cut the tile, normally about two or three inches off the uppermost part, angled down to nothing on both bottom edges.

affix the hip iron to the hip rafter with nails or screws, and then put the ridge tile on.

you can bed it on mortar if you wish or just place it on and point up underneath.

Where the big gap is, at the underneath of the last ridge, point up as best you can - take some pieces of brick, tile, whatever and wedge these in and get a covering of mortar - if you can make it smooth in one go then fine, if it keeps sagging and falling out, get in as much as you can and leave it until the following day and give it another coat over the already set mortar, if you do this, you don't need to worry how rough the mortar is on day one, only the last coat needs to be smooth.

HTH

Reply to
Phil L
[...]