Enclosure for 2 gel filled phone wire connectors

I want to extend a phone cable to re-route it. I have some of those gel filled connectors but I would appreciate advice about an enclosure - or can I just tape around the joint. IT will be external - but sheltered.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Use plenty of self amalgamating tape. Make sure you start the tape away from any risk of silicone contamination from the connectors. apply with clean hands too. Even one molecule of silicone can seemingly cause trouble!

Reply to
Bob Minchin

The joints I used to use for amateur radio connectors have survived decades, although it's a messy pain to do; wrap the joint in self-amalgamating tape, then in PVC insulating tape, then slather it well in car underseal. I've had these survive over 20 years in the open.

Reply to
Huge

Is this technically BT's wiring ie before the NTE or your own?

If yours, solder, insulating sleeve on each joint, double layer, half width overlapped self amalgamting tape extended over an inch onto the outer cable insulation.

If BT's wiring, it needs to "look right" the above doesn't... I don't think BT routinely use "jelly beans" outside of large multipair cable joint boxes or street cabinets. I think they would use a Block Terminal

66B:

-pair-66b-connection-box

(random site selected by google)

Jelly beans inside that wouldn't be too odd but the terminals would normally be used, it's also the only small externally rated box that BT are likely to use.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

they certainly used "jelly beans" when they replaced the overhead wire to my house after the 1987 storm. They are still there.

Reply to
charles

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@srv1.howhill.co.uk:

Virgin.

They took a cable to the Grey BT Box and connected into the cable that comes into the house in there. I want to bypass the BT box and wire directly to the Brown Virgin Box. (Obviously Virgin disconnected the incoming BT feed.)

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Owain

Reply to