En-suite shower room update

I've decided to have my en-suite shower room (shower, whb and toilet) refurbished. The present arrangement has two cord pull-switches situated in the en-suite, for lights and a vent-axia. The lights and vent-axia will be updated. One bathroom installer who I've asked to quote has said that the switches will have to be re-located outside the room (in the bedroom) in the form of wall-mounted rocker switches - another says that the pull-switches can remain in the en-suite. Have pull-switches been "banned" and has anyone got an idea who might be right, please, and why?

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Hall

On 17 Mar 2006 03:50:57 -0800 someone who may be "Bruce Hall" wrote this:-

No, but the switch itself must be outside the relevant zones. The cord itself can be inside most zones. Search this group and the web for links to information about the zones in rooms that contain a bath or shower, there are plenty of links for you to look up.

Reply to
David Hansen

I think that the current regulations allow pull switches BUT there needs to be an externally mounted DP isolator for fan and lights.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The latter is correct unless this is a *tiny* room.

(the formaer may be telling you he is not able to sign off part P work and hence wants to make sure anything electrical is out of the room!)

Electrical accesories are allowed in Zone 3 - hence pull switches are allowed:

John Rumm

Yes you are right, although the lights themselves do not require an isolator, only the fan does. Note also that If it is the type that is switched via the lights (with a run on timer) then it will require a

*three* pole isolator.

The isolator can be in the same room as the fan however.

If it is located outside the room (hence out of sight of any potential fan maintainer) then some mechanism should be provided to ensure that once shut off for fan maintenance it may not be turned on again prematurely.

Reply to
John Rumm