Emulsion Paint

This is DIY related - sort of..... Anyone know if it is definitly permitted to carry emulsion paint on Ryanair planes.Their conditions mention paint is not allowed in the hold but nothing about in the cabin. Spoke to Servisair (baggage handlers) at Luton who said 'water based paints' are OK in the hold.Cannot find a number for Ryanair for this simple enquiry. Hope to take two 2.5l tins emulsion to my brother in France, a special colour he wants from UK. Any help appreciated.

Reply to
Mortimer

colour

You may well have a problem with weight, the cheaper airlines have low weight allowances (so they don't need as much fuel) Ryan air allows 15kg for checked baggage and only 7kg for cabin baggage. If you do put it in the hold will it be any use when you get to the other side? As I understand it emulsion should be stored above freezing point....................it's way below freezing point in the hold though for a short journey it may be ok.

Angela

Reply to
Angela

I woudl say that carrying ANY paint in the (unpressurised) hold is asking for trouble.

It might not catch fire, but its likely to both freeze and pop the

lids off in the upper atmosphere.

I can't remember the exact figures, but air pressure at 30,000 feet is less than half that at sea level IIRC. And air temperature is about -40C I think.

Pressurised hold? well that's a diferent story...and usually means a special ticket on the luggage.

Why not simply go on a booze cruise?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mm, although they often have heated holds now, for carrying pets etc; but that's not foolproof, as an airline pilot friend of mine described to me recently. Iced poodle, anyone? Oops.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Thanks for the comments guys. Finally managed to get in touch with Ryanair who wont carry any paint in hold or cabin.

Reply to
Mortimer

Yes, and no.

AFAICR ther are two sorts of hlds, the maimn ones essentially 'open to teh air' that take on te external temp and pressure, and ones designed to be heated and pressurised. Normally these are accesed from within the cabin, hence 'cabin luggage'. I have used these carting guitars around teh place. You need to get specail tags to allow you to carry the goods to the cabin where the stewardess normally stashes em.

Alternatively fly Aurigny in one of their planes that have no holds and no pressurisation...:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher