Emulsion on MDF - a good idea?

As above - any problems? It is quite a large surface - approx 2m x 1m - providing the backing for kitchen units, facing into the lounge, so would like to paint the same colour as the walls.

Should I PVA 1st? Should I put a layer of matt varnish over to protect?

Reply to
JoeJoe

Put on a first coat diluted 50:50

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

MDF takes emulsion really well. I've never used PVA first, just wacked it on.

Varnish? Not sure. What about one of those 'wipe clean' emulsions?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'd give it a coat of MDF primer first. Using something water-based on MDF has a risk of raising surface fibres.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

But,but...isn't MDF primer matt emulsion. :-)

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Probably, but it doesn't seem to have as much free water as other emulsions. Stuff is cheap as chips anyway.

Reply to
Andy Dingley