Emulsion and gloss - which first?

Just finished redecorating our bedroom, (a major refurb - new elcetrics, replastering etc.), father-in-law helped me out finish the painting on Saturday.

Anyway, I've always (AFAICR) painted the woodwork first and then emulsioned the walls, and thought this was a fairly standard thing. FIL said that he always does the emulsion first and then the glosswork (learn from his FIL probably who was a decorator).

anyway, not that it makes a lot of difference, but I wondered what others do (and why?)

Reply to
chris French

On 23/02/2004 chris French opined:-

The emulsion is applied with a larger brush/pad or etc. and tends to go over onto the gloss areas anyway, so I do the gloss after and more slowly.

  1. emulsion
  2. gloss
  3. papering
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Emulsion then gloss. Spatters from the roller on emulsion bit gets on the gloss, I then paint the woodwork (straight over any spatters, since they come off as part of the woodwork prep) and it's done. And I find it easier to get a neat line between woodwork and wall when using the gloss/satin paint rather than the other way around.

Velvet

Reply to
Velvet

BUT, it's easier to wipe emulsion off (dry) gloss than to get oil-based gloss off emulsion .... BTW does anyone jnow a good book or website that gives "good" trade-level advice on painting??

John Forbes

Reply to
John Forbes

I tend to gloss afterwards - keeping the paint off wooden frames with a large roller is nigh to impossible. But then again, it is pretty easy to rub off emulsion.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

True - but I paint gloss with a brush, and being a (lapsed) artist I have pretty good brush control, so it's very rare that gloss gets onto the wall where it shouldn't...

And I don't think I really want to go round all the gloss after I've emulsioned and get every last speck of emulsion off it, when I'll do that at the gloss-prepping stage - it's one more circuit of the room that means the job takes longer overall - and the emulsion is SO much nicer to do when you can roller it on and not worry about where you're getting it too much :-)

Oh, I don't use masking tape either, other than along the skirting/carpet line (not all my carpets are take-up-able) cos I've never found one yet that doesn't lift one or other of the paints, so lots of practice freehand with a brush probable helps.

I just don't see there's much difference - you need a neat edge to either the gloss or the emulsion depending on which one you do last, and like I said, gloss last means one less trip round the room cleaning emulsion off the gloss (plus, no risk of denting not yet fully hard gloss with a wayward roller).

Each to their own I guess. I've never asked a trade p&d how they do it, be interesting to find out.

Velvet

Reply to
Velvet

I think that the pro rationale is all about speed and efficiency for the job.

From memory, our (family) pro goes something like preparation first, then prime (and U/C if needed) woodwork, then ceiling/walls then final woodwork.

Getting gloss on the walls isn't an issue - he's so fast and accurate at cutting in that it just doesn't happen. Emulsion splashes can be wiped off primed woodwork quickly after it has been primed,but if it needed to be removed from final coat then that would take a day to dry to the degree that you can get splashes off, and could affect the finish even then. By the time the finish coat has dried on the woodwork the emulsion splashes have also thoroughly hardened and become even more difficult to remove.

Once gloss or eggshell has gone on then it is essentially dead time for him, so he'll aim to put one coat on late in the afternoon on the penultimate day, then come back for the last day to put another coat on. Then it's a case of closing the door and leaving it to the client to wait for it to dry.

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

It depends on how accurate you are, and whether ther are gaps getween the gloss and teh emulsion.

In my latest bathroom exploit, I used decoratours caluk everywhere, and emulsion foirst is the wway to go, then gloss (well eggshell) up to whatever point you decide on. Gloss takes to emulsion: The reverse is NOT true.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Which is why I do it the otherway round. You can remove the inevitable spots, splashes and drips, though applying gloss is a lot less messy than roller applied emulsion.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice