embedding radiator pipes

Hi, As mentioned in the post header, is it okay to bury the pipes in plaster? I wrapped some aluminium foil round the 10mm pipes after moving some radiators and buried them. It seems ok. Some parts couldnl't be wrapped in the alu though and are just touching the plaster. Ok to do this? Steve

Reply to
Keyser Sose

Plaster does not attack copper. However you may wish to consider the affects of expansion/contraction if the section is long, say >1m

-- Mike W

Reply to
visionset

A bit of this;

a bit of this;
old technique used to be to wrap the pipe with Denso tape with a

50% overlap, so there was a double thickness.

Aluminium foil in plaster will start electrolytic corrosion; it's the foil that will be corroded, I think (can't be bothered to look it up). You shouldn't embed pipes in an external wall, they'll freeze and the heat loss to outside will be huge. You didn't say it was an external wall, but rads are usually on external walls.

Reply to
Aidan

Mine are on external walls, but obviously on the inner side of a cavity, on the extension there is 50mm of kingspan in the cavity, the rest of the house is soon to have cavity wall insulation. I cant see a problem if the pipes are in an "external" part of the house, the inner leaf wouldnt freeze.

Reply to
Staffbull