embedded copper in aluminium foil??

Guys, Been reading these pages and you've got me concerned. A couple of months back I embedded some 10mm copper pipes in a wall for my new radiators. I used aluminium kitchen foil to cover the pipes before filling the voids with interior filler. I am am now about to tile over this for one rad, and fit kitchen cupboards over another filled area. I have seen some people mention that copper + aluminium = corrosion. What corrodes? The aluminium or the copper? I covered the copper pipes for about two feet in this fashion. Should I remove this aluminium foil? Would what I have done cause problems down the line?

Reply to
Kaiser Sose

|Guys, |Been reading these pages and you've got me concerned. A couple of months |back I embedded some 10mm copper pipes in a wall for my new radiators. |I used aluminium kitchen foil to cover the pipes before filling the voids |with interior filler.

|I am am now about to tile over this for one rad, |and fit kitchen cupboards over another filled area. I have seen |some people mention that copper + aluminium = corrosion. What corrodes? |The aluminium or the copper? I covered the copper pipes for about two |feet in this fashion.

Copper corrodes aluminium.

>> So we can confidently predict that if aluminium and copper were joined together in the solution, the aluminium would corrode, and the copper would be protected.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

It's unlikely to be too much of a problem inside the house and away from a damp environment.

Reply to
The Wanderer

The walls will always contain some moisture (electrolyte) and so set up a galvanic corrosion cell between the aluminium anode & copper cathode. Seen similar (copper pipes, steel pipes, steel reinforcement).

As to whether it will become a problem, I have no idea.

Reply to
Aidan

True. Having had many years experience of the problems presented by bimetal joints exposed to the elements, I am aware of just how much of a problem corrosion can present, but it ain't likely to be too much of a problem in the situation mentioned by the OP.

No, and nor do I, but I can't see there being much likelihood of severe corrosion in the circumstances I mentioned.

Reply to
The Wanderer

I'm baffled why people still embed copper pipes in walls and screeds, wrapped in anything.

Plastic PEX pipe inside a bit of conduit pipe, problem solved. Much neater.

likely problem is if rodents can get access to the plastic, then they may gnaw at it.

Failing that, wrap the copper in Denso tape.

Reply to
Aidan

Fabulous site!

Reply to
Steve Walker

|Dave Fawthrop wrote: | |>

|||Fabulous site!

Google Advance Search is your friend.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Gas pipes can't be plastic.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The OP said;

"A couple of months back I embedded some 10mm copper pipes in a wall for my new radiators."

Do you circulate hot gas through your radiators, Drivel? An interesting concept, but then you seem to have an excess.

Reply to
Aidan