Emails

At one time if I cut and pasted a link in one of my emails, it was highlighted and "clickable". For some reason this no longer happens, it's now just plain text. How can I get this feature working again?

(BT/Yahoo)

Reply to
harryagain

Are you talking about being clickable while you're composing it? In which case IME it isn't in most email software.

If you're talking about when the email has been received, that's down to the recipient's email software not yours, your software might be able to break the receiving end depending how it wraps long links.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have only seen this work in clients like Outlook express. In web mail it is often hit and miss. But then I hate web based email so no longer use it!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If I send an email to myself with a link in, it is not "clickable".

Reply to
harryagain

You haven't told us what software you use for your email.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I have to do a return immediately after the link to make it work.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Ditto. Any speculations about what might be happening, or might have happened, are completely useless unless we have that information!

John

Reply to
Another John

BT/Yahoo/Windows XP/Google Chrome/Firefox

Doesn't work with either Chrome or Firefox. Youtube won't work properly with Chrome either but OK on Firefox.

Reply to
harryagain

Using Pan Newsreader I can expand the OP's header thus:

Subject: Emails From: "harryagain" Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 07:30:55 -0000 User-Agent: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5931

HTH.

Reply to
The Other John

I don't know if it has any bearing on this (I'd have thought what you describe is a software thing at your end, but what do I know?), but I did see recently that BT were changing their email system. I had a period at the end of last week where I couldn't access this group through BT using thunderbird as it kept asking me for login details that I didn't have (and I'm not sure I ever had). it resolved by itself over the weekend, so maybe it was something to do with switching systems over.

Reply to
GMM

Here, if my email editor sees www. or http:// it becomes a link. Changes colour to a nice bright red too. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Your lucky, on mine if it sees @ it tries to make the surrounding text into a clickable email address.

Reply to
dennis

Mine does too - but only if no space between the words either side of it. Which you wouldn't do with normal text?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks all

Interesting link. Many people have the problem but no solution. It seems Yahoo have taken the feature away. At least for cutting and pasting.

Reply to
harryagain

Its because you have more than one browser

Reply to
Judith

Sometimes the pattern matching for what constitutes a full valid URL isn't very good in email clients, though. If you're lucky it's done by regex or equivalent AND the pattern is somewhere you can edit.

If you look at the RFCs for what can be (but rarely is) in a URL it's quite complicated.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts