Elfin safety at B&Q

I appreciate that, but what I meant is - why did they put a price ticket on it if they couldn't sell it?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No, it's quite normal when computer kit is nicked. Maybe not in the case of a domestic one-off, but when multiples are nicked from an office, they always just cut through all the cables.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

'Cause the sales assistant was talking bollocks for some reason. The very likely reason being unoffically keeping it back for a relative for friend.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Will you be recalculating the thermal effects on the circuit cables of the revised mounting method?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I can see that it's much quicker to cut the cables but cutting through a live mains cable is "exciting". I guess after the first one the protection will have tripped but you'll have not done your cutters much good. Two pairs of cutters or a plug top with all three terminals heavyly bonded together and a bit of brass for a fuse?

Plug it in, switch on, instant trip either as overload or earth leakage. The sophisticated burglar would have one with a resistor between live and earth just to trip any RCD.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You're probably less likely to leave fingerprints about the place if you simply snip through the wires with gloved hands than if you start undoing connectors which might get left behind

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Is there something you're not telling us Frank? How would you know so much about it? :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

Of course - and I sanded the sharp corners of the MDF.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Any guesses as to why? Unless it's for scrap that sort of thing will reduce the resale value - even at a car boot sale, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You used MDF in a church? Sacrilege.

What's the matter with proper oak?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

'cause they are knicking the machines for the parts rather than working systems. Parts like the memory, cpu etc. Though now that 1GB of memory doesn't cost you and arm and three legs and an ordinary desktop workstation can be had, complete, for a few hundred quid I shouldn't think there is much market any more.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Maybe for reasons of time; very often cables will be all tangled up and fed through orifices in worktops so the perp would be grovelling around underneath desks extracting them - I expect the time taken to do that would be more productively spent nicking a few more chopped-off machines from another office in the building.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Wearing a mask and in a well ventilated space I hope.

Owain

Reply to
Owain