Element test - meter reading

Needed to test some elements - have a digital meter and little understanding - set it on the 200 Ohm setting and the display remained at "1". Can I safely assume this to be open circuit?

Reply to
John

Short the leads and see what it reads (should be zero). And then what it reads with them not touching (open circuit). If there is no change when you connect something it's fairly safe to say it's open circuit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks - that is what I hoped.

Must Google for a site to help me understand the meter settings....

Reply to
John

This is a decent little book:-

could cost as much as some multi-meters. If you don't understand the basic functions a starter book on electronic theory might be better.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

pat

Reply to