Electrostatic dust collectors

Do they work? I hate dust, and dusting.

Reply to
Huge

Dunno. Roombas work, and collect far more dust.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

We have a TV set with these characteristics. It requires dusting about every 10 minutes unless you develop dust immunity, whereby you look at the dust but don't see it!

Reply to
Capitol

Dust is weird.

I hoover the floors regularly - but it seems that every week I look at the printer and TV and they are covered in dust.

Then every month or two I look up and the spiders have been everywhere with webs.

This never seems to be a problem at work - I know we have cleaners round every day, but I've never seen them hoover the edge of the ceilings like I have to.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Not too good on shelves and stairs AIUI!

Reply to
Capitol

Yes they work. Though humidity tends to f**k them about. But the problem is that not every bit of air in a room goes through them, the same bit of air is recirculated. Other air doesn't go through and reamins untreated.

So the answer is, not really. Except the ones mounted in a mechanical ventilation sytems. Especially if it's a postive pressure one.

You can read about the principles here.

harryagain

I have seen one that ionizes the air with an electrode. This will precipitate a film of very fine dust on the surfaces around it, so you get more dust in fewer places. Think CRT monitor, with a thin film of fine dust...

Coarse dust? And an IKEA patrull air filter may clean the air, but dusting is still necessary...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

No system collects all dust. A roomba will pick up more than any electrostatic thing.

Its possible to have all incoming air filtered to remove dust, seldom done in the home but as fan controlled airflow is becoming gradually more popular its use may spread.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

To do as you suggest you would need a complete clean room installation with air lock and wearing special clothing when inside. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I would have thought in the home more dust is created inside (clothing, carpets, bedding, curtains soft furnishings) than brought in from outside (at least in the UK climate) so filtering incoming air would not reduce it significantly.

Reply to
CB

A lot of dust comes from dead skin/hair dropping off of people, also dander etc from any pets.

Reply to
Bod

That's not true, and you would want a hepa vac anyway if dust was a problem for you.

I DIYed one. I used one of those ventilation systems they sell for growing drugs (about £45) plus an old beer fermenter I had (plastic bin with airtight lid).

Just put a couple of 100mm vents into the beer fermenter lid.. put the carbon filter in the fermenter connected to the fan intake connect the other vent to the outside world put the output into the room

It keeps the dust down and removes smells and most pollen.

Next is to make a heat exchanger, maybe.

Reply to
dennis