electronics - unusual resistor value :-)

Pretty normal to have these - but 0.5R is well outside the tolerance (any tolerance!)

Reply to
Bob Eager

They'll also only be 0 ohm at the stated temperature. The resistance will increase with heat - which may be useful.

The zero ohm as a link thingie is quite common with surface mount - but these are conventional components so I doubt that's their main purpose in this case. As plenty such factory boards have wire links.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Machines were used long before SMD's recent popularity (gull wing smd packages have been around for donkeys years but tended to be restricted to military and space applications). I see no reason why the same machines that stuff old fashioned through hole components from bandoliers can't also stuff wire links.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

well they couldn't..and that's the point. making something up that was shaped like a resistor was a whole lot easier.

Also, finger insertion is much harder with a wire link.

Also wire links laying across open tracks are not a good idea. Even if there is an insulating resist.

So the wire link shaped like a resistor and covered in insulation, was the simplest way out.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's a 403 noww, I presume it was a surface mount 0 ohm resistor? Normal to use them as links ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Is that what the picture was? the link is broken so I haven't seen it yet.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

More like that is the resistance of your multimeter leads. To get an accurate result you need a 4 terminal resistance meter.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

That's right, the actual resistance will be measured in milli-ohms, it's just a very short length of tinned copper wire with a resistor- shaped piece of plastic around it. It's about the same as a 15-amp fuse wire, enough resistance to get hot with 15A passing through, and to melt with 30A.

Reply to
alexander.keys1

In message , dave writes

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /pics/zeroohms.jpg on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Reply to
geoff

No, packaged more like this:

which has a picture of a surface mount one too.)

Same basic idea though. Link in package that can be handled by the same equipment as resistors.

Reply to
Alan Braggins

Try

Man at B&Q

sorry - should be back now.

Reply to
dave

Oh, I like the 1% tolerance ...!

Reply to
Terry Casey

In article , Man at B&Q writes

more expensive in production. If you've only a few links and are already using automated through hole insertion equipment then it makes sense to stick with bandoliered component links and a single machine process.

Reply to
fred

and be careful not to exceed 1/4 W...

Reply to