Electronics question (before I kill myself)

Went to buy oen of these today so I could do some garden work in the dark - idea was that it would stay plugged into the mains while I worked and then taken off after (never hung up)

I got one of these:

is the same but with a plug

The reason I didn;t get the first was that it didn;t have any wiring with it at all and for soem reason I assumed it would

I did consider buying the wire and plug myself but I don;t have a clue to be honest, probably would have ended in disaster

Can anyone explain what I would have needed to do? How would I know what fused plug to get? What wire? It siad it HAD to be earthed yet there was a lot of non earthed wire being sold

What is eletrical insualtion tape used for?

Anyone know a good beginners guide for all this?

Reply to
mo

> Eventually I got one of these:

> which is the same but with a plug

Let's just say you did right by buying the one with the cable and plug already fitted, and leave it at that.

Working under a single floodlight is very different from working under sunlight, more so when the light is at low level and liable to dazzle you. I wouldn't use power tools, for one thing if you have an accident like damaging the cable you might blow a fuse or trip an RCD and plunge yourself into total darkness at a critical time.

Reply to
Graham.

Eventually I got one of these:

might have been better with something like this:-

I've got a single one which was much cheaper. Useful in the house for decorating etc too.

Best to buy a ready made one, then. Probably cheaper too.

A good DIY book would be a start.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And also with a convenient stand and carry handle so you don't burn yourself or set fire to things. Those lamps run *hot*

No, it's intended to be installed into a permanent location with fixed wiring

(Probably) fit a strain relief gland to the lamp. Fit an appropriate length of 3-core flex rated at >6A and a 13A fused plug with a 3A fuse.

If you wanted to be really pernickity, then test the entire assembly for compliance with British or EU standards ...

Watts / Volts = Amps.

There is a lot of appliances that don't need earths.

Bodging things, mostly.

Readers Digest / Which? / etc book of wiring and lighting. Your local library should have something.

Incidentally, in case your house wiring isn't protected by an RCD (residual current device) I would strongly suggest that you get one of these

it into the socket in the house, then plug your outside lamp and any tools you use outside, into it.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

These are good

more expensive to buy than a standard lighting system, but they make up for that in running costs and the lamp life.

Reply to
BigWallop

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote

UK mains? Do just cut off the supplied plug and fit a normal 3 pin plug?" :)

Reply to
Alan

ese

> plug it into the socket in the house, then plug your outside lamp and

As has been said, a CFL light would be better, but halogen works. 500w is way OTT though - you can get lower wattage bulbs that will fit, or really best to go get a cfl light. Even better get a pair, then you're not working in hard shadows all the time.

I wouldnt recommend using power tools under a blindingly bright light like that.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I used to sell pressure washers to the tool hire trade, 110v ones were a nightmare. They would leave the factory with a 32a/110v plug fitted (2kw motor). We wold invariably get a service call a few weeks later, to find the 32a plug had been swapped for a 16a one.

Affixing a very large bright yellow sticker to the front of the machine partly solved the problem, but never stopped it 100%.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Some people find they have a natural aptitude for DIY electrical work, others don't. If you're not confident and are asking such basic questions, leave electrical work alone.

That's not meant as discouragement, it's meant to stop you doing some of the bodges I've come across over many years as an electrical engineer.

The worst one? A three bar electric fire in an unearthed socket which had been wired in twin bell wire. I guess the wiring was giving off additional warmth......

Reply to
The Wanderer

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Graham." saying something like:

Oh, FFS.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Some time ago I had a Microwave oven to repair on behalf of an insurance company. All that was wrong with it was the internal light did not work. on closer examination there were two Quartz Halogen

120v bulbs wired in series and one had failed. Sourcing a replacement was too hard, I think the oven was written off.
Reply to
Graham.

You must have had the same customer as me :-) I saw the same thing when I was a TV engineer back in the '70s. A 3 KW heater had a flex extension using figure of 8 stranded twin (solid bell-wire would have taken the current better) The join was made with the old woven fabric type insulation tape and it was connected to a 13A plug with silver paper from a cigarette pack wrapped round the fuse. The cable was hidden under the carpet though, so at least no trip hazard :-)

Reply to
Graham.

I'm a little cautious with power tools and any kind of fluorescent. The lights flicker - usually not so you'd notice - but this can cause a strobe effect and freeze a moving object.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

That only happens with mains frequency fluorescents - and only with crude tubes. Modern electronic ones run at such a high frequency that strobing won't be apparent. Or use high persistent tubes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think this gets a lot of exaggeration. Although strobing occurs very occasionally, the thing still doesnt look like its stationary, since the fl tube gives out light over a fair percentage of the half cycle.

I dont think I've ever encountered a domestic/commercial/industrial tube that doesnt produce 100Hz output when run on 50Hz. Are you thinking of a special purpose type?

Or realistically, dont worry

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Reminds me of the eatery open to the public where the wall lights were on bell wire, but with choc blocks part way along it (no tape) and no cable clips anywhere. As we ate the choc block sat by the edge of the table - perhaps they were trying to discourage people from spilling drinks :)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I've never actually seen it in my domestic workshop when it was lit by 50 Hz fluorescents. But then I don't have slow turning heavy machinery like a lathe.

Anything with an electronic ballast. They run at about 30kHz and are more efficient. That's what I now use in my workshop. Tubes seem to last longer too.

Indeed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)