Electronics help!

Hi chaps,

i have a relay switching 11 amps @ 230volts, i want to supress the EM noise from it with one of these but cant work out which one i need.

RS does this range-

the pdf documents, there is some help to size the cap and the R values to the application. From my calcs i recon i need a 20uf 20rR

Help! I'm out of my depth here and RS tech support recommended one of these-

its too expensive as i need 20! And im not sure they have sized it correctly.

TIA!

Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

0.1uF + 100 ohms is the standard values to use. You dont say what the load is, there's a fair difference between resistive aqnd inductive loads. If its resistive I'd go with the usual values. 0.22uF + 47 ohms will also work, and may work better if the load's inductive, but it will also leak more current when the relay's off, and increase the peak current on closing for the relay contacts by about 5A. You'd need to spec your relay to cope with this if you want it to last.

Either suppressor wll leave the switched live permanently live enough to deliver a serious shock.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

?? I doubt you nee that. More like .1uF... A bit of inductance would help as well.

try a toroid with a few turns is series with the contacts and .1uF across them.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Tabby

Tabby, the load is 2.4kw kettle element on some relays and on others this pump-

have emailed the company and am waiting for them to get back to me regarding the power consumption and inrush....

steve

0.1uF + 100 ohms is the standard values to use. You dont say what the load is, there's a fair difference between resistive aqnd inductive loads. If its resistive I'd go with the usual values. 0.22uF + 47 ohms will also work, and may work better if the load's inductive, but it will also leak more current when the relay's off, and increase the peak current on closing for the relay contacts by about 5A. You'd need to spec your relay to cope with this if you want it to last.

Either suppressor wll leave the switched live permanently live enough to deliver a serious shock.

NT

Reply to
Mr Sandman

no need

I'm NT btw, not Tabby

NT

Reply to
Tabby

But your From name is Tabby?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yeah, couldnt find any way to correct it in google groups.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Fanks NT!

Steve

no need

I'm NT btw, not Tabby

NT

Reply to
Mr Sandman

According to

"If you use Gmail with your Google Account, it's not currently possible to change your Gmail username after you've registered. You can, however, create another Google Account with a different Gmail username."

"If you don't use Gmail with your Google Account, you can change your account username to another email address at any time. Your username is the full email address you used to create your account."

Reply to
Geo