Electronic water softeners e.g. Vulcan 3000 - how effective? (2023 Update)

Very little effect in humans at all. Human stomach contains hydrochloric acid and calcium chloride is quite soluble.

We *need* soluble calcium and magnesium for healthy bones.

Very soft water or worse still deionised water can be bad for you.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Listen to the pseudo-scientific bullshit of this one

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have a water softener, it cost £1300 fitted and we drink bottled min eral water.

Reply to
Simon Mason

I've read the responsible replies so, now for the lateral :-)

Viktor Schauberger is a genius with water with it's many states and healing properties. Using one of his natural vortex cones reshapes water. Many huge industries use his technology.

An easy read on the pH effects on the body and the foods to combat it.

Dr Jerry Tennant on Youtube gives an excellent talk on Sanitas Radio of the absolute need to keep your body pH in balance.

Is why the seaside and the fine spray of a high waterfall gives you a feeling of well being.

...Ray. (in for a penny)

Reply to
RayL12

UK tap water is dead, Brian.

Reply to
RayL12

Simon, look on Youtube for Bottled Water pH. There are some bad bottled waters and a few good.

...Ray.

Reply to
RayL12

We are using San Pellegrino at the moment and I add CaSO4 to home brew wate r.

Reply to
Simon Mason

Besides raising a temperature, what is the benefit in brew water?

Reply to
RayL12

The water industry supplies water that is safe, soft water is not safe and they make it harder if its too soft.

People pay good money for mineral water which is just hard water.

You need the minerals in the water so if you have soft water you may need to supplement your diet with other mineral sources.

Its usually naturally hard too, just like the water man has been drinking for millions of years, it hardens as it passes through the ground.

Reply to
dennis

You have to get your bacteria somewhere and bottled water is a good source.

Reply to
dennis
8<

Its safe to drink some softened water, if you drink too much it is harmful.

Reply to
dennis

my brother told me it makes disgusting tea,

Reply to
charles

Burtonisation. Wikipedia has an explanation.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Simon Mason

In East Anglia, where the water is rated as Extremely Hard, the cost of softening the entire water supply would exceed the country's GOP. And there would not be enough salt in the ground to do the job. I'll stick to softening my own household supply.

Reply to
Davey

Simon Mason

Talking of which, do sulphamic acid based descaling products "go off". I'm busily trying to remove the stalagtites on various taps round the house and in the loos, and the various descaling gels we seem to have, which must be years old, are having poke all effect.

Reply to
Huge

Sorry for the delayed response.

Furred under and to both sides IIRC. Just like I would expect and cold water pipe in a hard water area to be after a few years.

It certainly wasn't removing the hardness and depositing it on the pipe; this would be counter productive anyway because that would just block the pipe after a while. Consider how much scale builds up inside a kettle over the months.

Anyway, with the device (installed before we moved in) we had hard water.

After fitting a salt based water softener we had soft water.

Nuff said.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Interesting.

When I moved to Gloucestershire many years ago, a colleague had moved to a neighbouring house a couple of years previously. He was a very competent, and very cynical physicist / geologist. He complained of severe furring on kettles and other electrical heaters. Going against his better judgement, he tried a magnetic device and was astonished to discover that the deposits no longer built up, but crumbled and came off as relatively fine powder. I repeated the experiment and found much the same thing. A few years later I had to replace the water main, and for various reasons removed the magnetic unit and found I no longer had scaling problems. I can only imagine that the water source and/or treatment was changed at some point, but at the time of fitting the devices seemed to make a difference. Perhaps, when new, they were adding some copper (or other) ions until a fully protective scale built up inside them, and this was sufficient to provide temporary relief?

Reply to
newshound

replying to Martin Brown, Chrisp wrote: That's quite right. Hard water is not biologically harmful, and is probably beneficial. Increasing the sodium ion concentration in the water (ie salt) is harmful, though, especially if you have high blood pressure. If you fit an ion-exchange water softener to avoid scale build up in heating systems, washing machines etc, make sure you fit a hard water take off from the main supply before it goes into the softener (a swan-neck spout next to the tap in your kitchen sink is easiest), and use it for cooking and drinking. Descaling your kettle from time to time is better than having a heart attack!

Reply to
Chrisp