Electronic Water Descalers / softeners

Page 1 of 2
Hi,
Do the above mentioned devices actually work?

Course they do
Mike R

I don't think anyone wants to join a thread from hell so I'll tell you whats occurred and go away, because I don't want to be in a thread from hell either.
The vast majority think they are absolute rubbish; some allow as how they *might* have a temporary effect that would help where the water is to be used immediately. This applies to bothe versions.
a very few feel they work; with a religious fervour, so name calling occurs and the general level of bonhomie drops.
I don't think you will get much light, but are in danger of creating a lot of heat!
Mike R
James Salisbury wrote:

For 99% of applications, no.
James Salisbury wrote:

Probabl;y equally as badly: If your watyer contains calcium carbonate, you can possibly affect where and it what form it deposits, but not prevent it completely.
Replacing it wuith sodium carboneate stops the problems perfectly, at the downside of fair capital expense, the need to fill em up with salt, and a different taste and feel to the water, which I presonally prefer.

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I presume that you are referring to water softeners? If so, I thought that you aren't supposed to drink the water from them (always have an un-softened tap in the kitchen for drinking water)?
Regards,
Parish - who's curious 'coz he's thinking about getting a water softener.
parish wrote:

You aren't supposed to drink from lead pipes, touch asbestos without a government license, smoke cigarettes, get industrial cleaning fluid on your bare skin, go to motor races and pop concerts withot ear defenders etc etc.
Done all of those, and at 53, am not in perfect health like I was at 20, but I ain't dead yet :-)
I'll say tho, that clening fluid on bare skin makes you feel like shit for a few days.
For me, If I was worried about blood pressure etc, I would stop smoking, not worry about the tiny amount of sodiaum carbonate in softened water. There is far more muck in 'natural' mineral water.

writes

Egggsactly.
I've crossed a pelican crossing against a red light, lived in the far east for three years without taking malaria pills, driven at > 130 mph on a regular basis, used to clean glass in the chemistry lab by dipping my finger in the cleaning acid, occasionally get mains shocks, sometimes get > kV shocks, drink heavily, smoke a lot, ride a motorbike, ... where do I stop ?
It's part and parcel of living a bit - I'd rather die having lived a bit than vegetating my life away.
--
geoff

writes

:(
That doesn't only put you at risk but others who you are not allowing the choice.
--
dave @ stejonda

The (il)legality of it isn't particularly an issue for me. I guess Geoff just forgot to indicate that he was driving off-road. :)
--
dave @ stejonda

Dontcha just love those welsh hills?
--
geoff

Good plan.
I was going to try to organise something earlier in the year but ran out of time and had other commitments.
I certainly don't mind doing so for later this month or early August if people would like to post and/or email.
On the last occasion, John Schmitt organised a very good, and not expensive curry venue in the West End preceded by meeting up in a close-by pub.
IIRC, we went for a Friday night but I'm flexible.
I'll post a separate thread.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Counts me out then.

Is this a Sarf Landan Cockneyism? Ruby = Ruby Murray = Curry.

Wow!

Correct! I have an Aston Martin.

http://www.wildcollections.com/category/2.astonmartin/ ??

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

That is nice. They even have a model of my DB5.

Aren't the pedals too close for your CAT boots?
--
*Bigamy is having one wife too many - monogamy is the same

Well,
if it doesn't clash with any of the crap from my new company setup then I',m up for it. I'd like to put a face to a few names.
it was the "all is klaar" from a previous post that gave it away, btw,
cheers Richard
-- Richard Sampson

Du meinst velleicht "alles klar"?
... where's Thomas when you need him?