Electronic Water Descalers / softeners

Hi,

Do the above mentioned devices actually work?

Reply to
James Salisbury

"James Salisbury" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@echo.uk.clara.net:

Course they do

Mike R

Reply to
Mike Ring

"James Salisbury" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@echo.uk.clara.net:

I don't think anyone wants to join a thread from hell so I'll tell you whats occurred and go away, because I don't want to be in a thread from hell either.

The vast majority think they are absolute rubbish; some allow as how they

*might* have a temporary effect that would help where the water is to be used immediately. This applies to bothe versions.

a very few feel they work; with a religious fervour, so name calling occurs and the general level of bonhomie drops.

I don't think you will get much light, but are in danger of creating a lot of heat!

Mike R

Reply to
Mike Ring

For 99% of applications, no.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Probabl;y equally as badly: If your watyer contains calcium carbonate, you can possibly affect where and it what form it deposits, but not prevent it completely.

Replacing it wuith sodium carboneate stops the problems perfectly, at the downside of fair capital expense, the need to fill em up with salt, and a different taste and feel to the water, which I presonally prefer.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

FWIW....

I used to descale the kettle frequently.

I started using a Wickes electric conditioner and a Brita filter at the same time.

I don't know which does the trick, but I no longer get any build up on the element.

On taps etc. I do get some build up round the base but it is easier to shift and not so plentiful.

I think it works, but I have no proof about dissolving existing scale. It might be working but I've no intention of taking my bot water cylinder to bits to find out.

If offered my money back I would keep the gizmo.

Reply to
John Wood

I'm considering giving one a try on the cold input to a Combi. However these electronic descalers are advertised to work (or not) with a magnetic field applied to the water, so -> Is there any problem with them interfering with other systems, e.g. the chip in the boiler itself, or the thermostat control system which in my case is wireless??

Any history of problems Folks?

Eric

Reply to
Eric Dockum

Shouldn't think they do that either. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Britas seem to work - I don't know why tho.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Heard this comment from several people - is it just because they seem like the perfect breeding ground for bacteria and such nasties?

We have a britta jug and only use it for the kettle. I've never worried too much (certainly never keep it in the fridge) and have always assumed that any bug living in it will be killed by boiling in the kettle...

I guess its only boiled for a few seconds - should I be concerned? No obvious side effects in the 5 or so years that I have been doing this!

On a similar subject, anyone know of a decent cheap source of them?>

Darren

Reply to
dmc

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

I wonder how useful they would be for purifying aquarium water?

Reply to
geoff

In message , Eric Dockum writes

The chip?

Reply to
geoff

I presume that you are referring to water softeners? If so, I thought that you aren't supposed to drink the water from them (always have an un-softened tap in the kitchen for drinking water)?

Regards,

Parish - who's curious 'coz he's thinking about getting a water softener.

Reply to
parish

They are. Both my filter units - when I used em - went algal green.

Washing out in bleach solved the problem.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You aren't supposed to drink from lead pipes, touch asbestos without a government license, smoke cigarettes, get industrial cleaning fluid on your bare skin, go to motor races and pop concerts withot ear defenders etc etc.

Done all of those, and at 53, am not in perfect health like I was at 20, but I ain't dead yet :-)

I'll say tho, that clening fluid on bare skin makes you feel like shit for a few days.

For me, If I was worried about blood pressure etc, I would stop smoking, not worry about the tiny amount of sodiaum carbonate in softened water. There is far more muck in 'natural' mineral water.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've never had anything like that. Although I do clean the jug out when changing the cartidge as recommended, it never shows any sign of needing it. The cartidges contain something (silver, IIRC) to prevent bacteria growth in them. It probably doesn't remain effective forever.

However, the water once filtered has no protection, so you shouldn't keep it for more than 24 hours, and not in the Sun. As I said, I keep mine in the fridge anyway. In reality, I use at least a jugfull every

24 hours, but if I go away for a few days, on my return, what's in there gets used for watering plants or similar and I refill it fresh.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes

I've crossed a pelican crossing against a red light, lived in the far east for three years without taking malaria pills, driven at > 130 mph on a regular basis, used to clean glass in the chemistry lab by dipping my finger in the cleaning acid, occasionally get mains shocks, sometimes get > kV shocks, drink heavily, smoke a lot, ride a motorbike, ... where do I stop ?

It's part and parcel of living a bit - I'd rather die having lived a bit than vegetating my life away.

Reply to
geoff

Nowt wrong with a bit of algae - don't water softeners contain a small amount of silver which has been known to be a bactericide (?) since at least Roman times

Reply to
geoff

In message , geoff writes

:(

That doesn't only put you at risk but others who you are not allowing the choice.

Reply to
ignored

In message , RichardS writes

The (il)legality of it isn't particularly an issue for me. I guess Geoff just forgot to indicate that he was driving off-road. :)

Reply to
ignored