Electronic Transformers and RCD ?

I decided sometime back to update my Consumer Unit; bought a replacement and then put off doing it because of the cost of the temporary disconnection. Fortunately yesterday the electricity board shut us all down for most of the working day to do some upgrade - didn't spot the opportunity to begin with and was hanging around wondering what I was going to do !

Anyway it is now done. The only facility to trip the system is the under-cupboard LV halogen lights in the kitchen which are off the kitchen ring - these trip the RCD. Is this to be expected with the electronic transformer or is there a fault with them ? I see from another thread here that I would be best to change to fluorescents anyway.

We've all been there, but yesterday I went for a cup of tea in the middle of the morning ; kettle wouldn't switch on - OK saucepan on gas cooker - no, let's get camping kettle from walk-in attic - attic light wouldn't switch on - down stairs for torch - batteries flat on the first one, get good one from workshop - fill kettle, put on stove - stove won't light because no electricity - hunt house for matches or lighter, etc, etc. We are a bit dependent, aren't we ?

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

A transformer should not leak llike that. From what you say its almost certainly the transformer so try replacing it.

Reply to
marvelus

I would susspect a fault. Most transformers I have seen only take a two wire connection in the first place, so getting leakage to earth is potentially not that easy!

It could it be something silly like having the xformer wired across phase and earth, or could also be damage to the cable feeding it (kitchen cubboard screwed through it etc!)

;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I wish it were only a joke.

no

maybe

yup. Check what type of tubes youre getting though, avoid 4000K or higher, unless you really like cold clinical lighting that looks totally at odds with the rest of the lighting.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Not electronic ones. They kick out a LOT of interference and have BIG RFI filters on em. And earth wires to match.

Quite enough to take an elaready suspect 30mA RCD over the edge.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Agree about the RFI, although I don't think I have seen an electronic one that is not double isolated and hence earth free.

Reply to
John Rumm

Switch-mode PSU and a 30mA RCD ? Very common prroblem. Doing it on a

100mA RCD is less common, but still happens with some brands of PSU.
Reply to
dingbat

Just cut the seal and pull the fuse. They'll not worry.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)