Electronic ballasts for fluorescents - wattages and pin connections

Can a higher wattage electronic ballast, be safely used to drive a lower voltage fluorescent lamp - or is there some kind of current sensing on the output that will cause damage to a lower-wattage lamp?

And secondly - regarding pin connections - I don't have a connection diagram for the 4-pin circular lamp I want to drive. Is there some rule of thumb about the output connections to 4-pin fittings - are there in fact 2 pairs of identical outputs?

Reply to
dom

Lower wattage, I presume?

Yes, electronic ballasts generally work with pretty much anything (until you get to the tiny tubes for magnifiers). Older, non- electronic ones, were more fussy - with too low a power tube, they might never strike and switch the tube on.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yes, sorry - typo - defo meant lower wattage!

Reply to
dom