Electricty Monitor

Hello

Is it possible to buy a device that I can fit myself which will give me a clear indication of my current rate of electricity consumption. . Ideally I'd like a portable device which can show pence/hour, cumulative cost etc and maybe even predict/calculate my electricity bill.

Yes, I know I have a meter, but that's in the garage and doesn't really give me all the info I'd like. I did google around a bit but couldn't really find what I was looking for. I'm sure I've seen these devices on the telly.

Many Thanks for any pointers.

Des

Reply to
Des

Yes, a couple of weeks ago. IIRC, they said the electricity companies would be compelled to provide them FOC in the (fairly) near future.

There are plenty of plug-in devices (such as those sold by Maplins) which will monitor the energy consumed by whatever is plugged into a single 13A socket, including calculating the cost - but it sounds as if you want to to it for the whole house.

There are ammeters which will clamp round a cable, and display the current passing through the cable - by some inductive means which doesn't require an electrical connection to be made - but I don't know whether any of those will integrate the measurement over a period of time in order to calculate amp-hours (or watt-hours if they also take voltage into account) - let alone calculate your electricty bill.

Reply to
Roger Mills

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 15:09:29 +0100, "Roger Mills" mused:

These need to be clamped round a phase conductor _only_ so would mean stripping bits of insulation of all your flexible cables! (Not recomended btw).

They can, if you go for one of the more expensive OTT for domestic measurement ones.

Reply to
Lurch

Strip back insulation to use a clamp meter!! CRAP!!!

Reply to
Jb

Lurch was talking about using one on a multi-core cable, where you'd need to remove the _sheath_ to separate the cores. For whole-house monitoring (single-phase) you can clamp round either of the meter tails, without removing anything.

Reply to
Andy Wade

covered different devices.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 16:16:26 +0100, Andy Wade mused:

Thankyou, that was clearly the only conclusion a sane person could draw from the statement.

Top posting fuckwits would do well to not bother posting.

Reply to
Lurch

If you've been watching "Its not easy being green" recently they were using a device just as you describe - with a wireless display unit so you can monitor the useage from anywhere within the house. I'm not sure what make it was though.

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

Thanks for the useful replies - especially Kevin.

Looks like the "electrisave"

comes closest to what I want. Only downside is the cost - about £62 from amazon.

Thanks again Des

Reply to
Des

I saw a programme on BBC World last night that featured one such device. Looked quite good and anything that raises awareness surely cannot be a bad thing.

-- Nige Danton

Reply to
Nige Danton

It does *part* of what you were asking for. It shows you at what *rate* you are currently consuming electricity - but it doesn't accummulate this over a period to measure kWHrs consumed in (say) a 24 hour period.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Reply to
Piers James