Electrics in a new house

Hi

I bought a new house recently, and in the bathrooms there are wires present overthe handbasins for light fittings. However, there is no power going to these wires. There is no switch in the fuse box to "activate" the wires, and I cant figure out what I need to do to connect the wires to the mains. Any ideas? I'm a reasonably competent DIYer, I've managed to change light fittings, etc, in the past.

To summarise... new house, plasterboard walls, exposed wires in bathroom, no power!

Any help greatly appreciated, cheers Sean

Reply to
Sean D

The wires will be left disconnected either at the switch or possible at the ceiling rose, otherwise get in touch with the builder!

Dave Jones

Reply to
Dave Jones

What's above the ceiling? Can you get into the loft and see where the wires go? Are they mains wires or low voltage? Could they have been used for low voltage downlighters and the fittings and transformer have been removed? That could explain why no voltage.

Have you traced the wires with a cable detector? Is it a newly built house or just new to you? Have you looked behind the switches and ceiling roses to see if there are wires you can't explain?

Reply to
Richard Porter

There might be an isolator high up often above the door inside or outside. OTOH that might just switch the fan off.

Reply to
Ed Sirett