Electrics: blown something up (again)

No worries - Dropbox is useful regardless, and would be up and running in about 5 minutes, if that! ;-)

Reply to
Toby

Oh, I think there's another false positive scenario you can get with NS dev ices that isn't mentioned in that page you referred to. It's when you get a glow from touching on a wire that isn't live, but appears to be because th e impedance of the screwdriver is so high that it doesn't deck a high imped ance voltage source. So the wire in question has probably acquired a 'ghost voltage' from it being induced from a genuine live cable lying adjacent to it. The 'ghost voltage' is harmless and would simply disappear if you trie d to connect a load to it, but your NS can't tell you that.

Reply to
orion.osiris

d knowing the inherent problems with them. I would never recommend the use of a NS to anyone else.

little late now for this matter which has been resolved, but I am taking s teps to ensure that I shall be able to post clear and decent sized pictures in the very near future for other queries which are bound to arise.

suggestions.

in I've acquired. I just have to find the time to configure the settings in Midnight Commander and I'll be up and away. Should have it all working bef ore the end of the month with any luck.

I'm sure you're perfectly correct, and I would have used it, but I plan a m ajor update of *all* my net related stuff including platforms and operating systems which may as well all be done at the same time.

Reply to
orion.osiris

My expensive multimeter is 44 years old and the display hasn't faded! I did get it 'used' (but free).

AVO 8 Mark 3.

Reply to
Bob Eager

evices that isn't mentioned in that page you referred to. It's when you get a glow from touching on a wire that isn't live, but appears to be because the impedance of the screwdriver is so high that it doesn't deck a high imp edance voltage source. So the wire in question has probably acquired a 'gho st voltage' from it being induced from a genuine live cable lying adjacent to it. The 'ghost voltage' is harmless and would simply disappear if you tr ied to connect a load to it, but your NS can't tell you that.

Oops! Sorry, I take it back; it *is* covered in your item!

Reply to
orion.osiris

What model? It might be fixable.

Still got a couple of Fluke 8060A's that date from 1983/84 in regular use, other than fuses, battery connectors and probes the only thing that has required attention every five years or so is the elastomeric connector for the LCD and the LCD itself that I've needed to clean with some isopropanol as some segments became intermittent

Reply to
The Other Mike

8022A. I did try a couple of years ago when it got really bad, but no displays seem to available and it wasn't a current stndard size.

But that's an idea, I have IPA [both types] and cotton buds.

Reply to
charles

In article , The Other Mike scribeth thus

Excellent meter those always been very fond of them. Bought one on fleabay for 30 quid the other month, excellent nick is was in too and calib cert still valid!.

As mentioned the problem is the LCD displays do fade and deteriorate and spares aren't around anymore. However there is an article on how to change those to 7 segment LED displays which do work well. I started on one and got it half finished/completed then went and bought another one..

Prefer that to the 45 Fluke we have anyway:)..

That article on the LED modification is now no longer around on the web but I have it as a PDF if anyone wants a copy..

Reply to
tony sayer

Is it copyright, or could we stick it up on the wiki?

Reply to
John Rumm

I don't think so. I'll send you a copy and perhaps it can be decided upon:)..

Reply to
tony sayer

There's also a detailed article on repairing an 8060A at

Reply to
Mike Clarke