Electrics and Expandable foam

Hi

Polystyrene foam and PVC cable are a known problem. I gather the polystyrene slowly turns the PVC to goo somehow, and the result is eventual fire.

So, as has been said, it doesnt sound like a fire tomorrow type situation, but I would say it really does need fixing, along with any other places they've done this.

Also check the building for polystyrene balls insulation, thats usually where these problems arise.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

I discovered some cable laid across poly sheet long after some building work at home. The cable had sunk through the poly and was resting on the plasterboard ceiling. But in other ways was still intact - although the PVC *may* have been slightly brittle. But in no way a fire risk unless moved.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

The boat safety scheme for the inland waterways (MOT for boats) does not permit laying PVC cable in polystyrene insulation unless in conduit to prevent contact. The reason is that the PVC goes brittle and on a boat you do get vibration. Also circuits are predominatly 12V with high current. A short circuit for a light (2Amp) is 2.5mm. A long circuit for a fridge (5Amp) on a 60ft narrowboat needs to be 10mm cable. And the invertor needs to be close to the battery.

Lawrence

usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk

Reply to
Lawrence

Reply to
N. Thornton

"Dave Plowman" wrote | > PVC windows don't have 240V electricity running through them. | You've not seen my burglar alarm/elephant scarer, then?

I think I'll come and break into your house, I could do with the compensation :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"N. Thornton" wrote | Also check the building for polystyrene balls insulation,

That's a handy thing for a Scotsman to have.

Owain

Reply to
Owain