Electrics

Probably bedroom slippers.

Especially if the wife finds someone else's on her side of the bed.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The message from Tony Williams contains these words:

Couldn't put it down?

Reply to
Guy King

For hobbies, fishing turns out to be the most dangerous in terms of fatalities (and that's without including the fish;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yup - dying of pure boredom.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

And being squashed by those other dangerous things, flighty horses.

Reply to
Guy King

Good idea

Very practical

Sheer luxury

Outstandingly green

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww! Too much information! It was sounding good up to there, I even managed to imagine the shower without an occupant, but sweaty Lycra shorts? Yuk.

Reply to
Peter Twydell

or just falling off and breaking your neck (I lost a friend this way nearly 10 years ago). Apparently teenage girls are much more likely to be killed this way than by taking E, but taking E gets much more press of course (and may have longer term effects of course).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The message from snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) contains these words:

And isn't paid for by daddy.

Reply to
Guy King

Well, it probably is, just not knowingly.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The message from snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) contains these words:

Yeah, I thought of that just too late.

Reply to
Guy King

:)

I think what makes a chainsaw dangerous is that it is an example of one of those things that goes from everything being hunky-dory to a serious injury in the blink of an eye. Usually caused by the wood doing the unexpected. Little time to react, no second chance.

Reply to
Tony Williams

We have an Eventing place just down the road. You have to give those girls their due though, they need some serious *bottle* to do some of those jumps.

Reply to
Tony Williams

On 8 Dec 2006 06:30:51 -0800 someone who may be "CJC" wrote this:-

Most unlikely on the switch, unless it is a metal one. However, there should be a terminal in the box.

There is never a terminal for neutral on a (single pole) light switch.

The terminals are common (marked "COMMON", "COM", or "C" depending on the switch) which is where the live feed should be connected and a switched output (marked L1) where the switched live should be connected. You may see other terminal markings, of which L2 is by far the most common (there will also be an L1).

I'll repeat other people's advice. Get a book on basic wiring from the library, study it and understand what it says before fiddling.

Reply to
David Hansen

The message from Tony Williams contains these words:

That and being seductively destructive. Flamethrowers are the same - dangerous but very very entertaining.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) contains these words:

ISTR reading years ago that cave diving was considered the most dangerous hobby of all. Even more dangerous than high altitude mountaineering where the lifetime risk of death was supposed to exceed

10%.
Reply to
Roger

In article , Roger wrote:

Considered replying to this first time around, and decided against it. But since someone else has raised the subject ... Cave diving is undeniably hazardous. So is high-altitude mountaineering. With a friend dead in the diving, a friend's trainee dead in the diving, and several friends dead in the mountains over the years, that's why I hung up my cylinders. What gives cave diving it's bad reputation though is that the learning curve from doing (for example), night scuba dives with a partner in open water to doing a cave dive is very, very steep. The hazards faced and mindset required, as well as the techniques, are not what the open water diver expects. In fact, the UK CDG (Cave Diving Group) works to the description that cave diving is caving under water, not diving in caves, and that all aspirant divers MUST be competent cavers while diving experience is not unnecessary. That applies to people completely ignorant of both sports as well as to top-level open-water diving instructors. (I once met another member of the CDG on a rig in the North Sea - he was just "out of the pot" after a 6-week dive, and was looking forward to getting home to relax with some nice cave diving, for a change.) In Britain, this learning curve is little problem. Almost all the sumps (flooded sections of cave) are buried deep in caves, accessible only to cavers. And the water is cold, muddy and uninviting. Few people approach the sport without having to find a cave, which will put them in contact with cavers, who will put them into contact with the CDG. In contrast, in the "great", "holiday" state of Florida there are hundreds of fresh water pools where (relatively) warm water rises from white-walled chalk caves. They're often popular swimming pools. So, when there's a heavy swell on, the "1 week a year" holiday divers don't want to miss a days dive and go inland instead of out to sea. And when they see the signs that say "DANGER of DEATH, people have died here. Do not continue unless you are a fully-trained, experienced cave diver. THIS MEANS YOU !", obviously they know it means someone else. The results are predictable. (There is open-air caving in Florida, but it's a long way from the holiday resorts ; consequently there is considerably less passive influence that the American cave diving organisation can bring to aspirants.) Welsh diving guru Martyn Farr listed 15 UK death between 1949 and

1988 in his authoritative "The Darkness Beckons" (ISBN 0906371872). A bad week in Florida can have as many body recoveries. (I think the UK has accumulated 3 CDG deaths since I quit in 1991.) Oh, and just to get another pet peeve off my demand valve : the CDG was set up in 1935 for operations in Swildons and Wookey ; it was re-established in 1946 to utilise wartime developments. The British Sub-Aqua Club has many members who claim that it's the original amateur diving organisation in Britain, having been founded in 1953. Maybe they've got their records corrected in the 20 years since I last read one of their training manuals.
Reply to
Aidan Karley