Electrickery?

> Am I missing something here?

A brain to work it out, or try reading a paper on the subject - rather than one full of crap! And you a so called 'professional' 'messing' around with customers electrics - *and* have the blessed cheek to charge for that work. And you reckon you know what you are doing, sheesh!

==========================

Just too wide open for the old "stalker" to resist a response John. *eg*

==========================

Ah well, back to the job of recording old and battered tape cassettes to CD via the old computer technology - and ignore the usual TMH *F* *O* *A* *D* tirade.

Reply to
Unbeliever

FOAD - again.

Reply to
Bob Eager

>>> Am I missing something here?

On this occasion the TMH was posting tounge in cheek:-)

It was humour.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Sounds the the USA suicide plug incidents.

I would be more impressed if the SUN ran a few paragraphs about how 1) Part P achieves nothing for portable appliance deaths 2) Part P counted counted and will count the death in its magic Fixed & Portable appliance statistics and 3) why a simple plug-in RCD will save someone's life for about =A39.99. Then I would be impressed if someone blew the bullshit out of reporting, self interest & actually did some EDUCATION.

Sadly out of 3 plug-in RCD locally I found 2 did not work when I tested them and 1 was way out of spec but improved when tested (and buzzed ominously!). They were all good quality (powersaver, MK white adapter block type) but extremely old, scuffed, filthy & the one that buzzed was cracked. People thought they were unbreakable and often dropped them. All sent to B&Q (whereupon the death certificate will show they died of old age, desperation, dehydration or self multilation trying to operate the self scanning machines and begging the tight bastards for a bag).

Reply to
js.b1

Journalistic licence.

Journalists are mainly uneducated (apart from meja studies) and ATATSP.

Reply to
<me9

More like a mild shock due to capacitance.

I had more shocks (in a more or less earth free environment) as a child than I had in my 40 year working (with electricity) life. I'm still alive.

Reply to
<me9

Which is why it is a good idea to have one hand behind one's back whilst in a dodgy situation.

Reply to
<me9

test the meter, test the wire, test the meter .....

Reply to
Jethro

Test known live, Test known dead, Test dead.

Reminds me of DNO staff with rubber aprons... rubber gloves... but no flash face guard. Then again they may have just been to handle the apprentices :-)

Reply to
js.b1

Indeed, the old TV engineers trick - one hand in the pocket!

Reply to
John Rumm

Its the kind of error that only helps confuse the proportion of the readership that is already verging on complete ignorance of matters technical (and probably proud of it).

Reply to
John Rumm

They don't look like rubber, more like synthetic. I find that rubber conducts electricity, probably because of the carbon in it.

Reply to
Matty F

>>> Am I missing something here?

Yes. Tragic.

seems that one of these
was wired up with the male and female end the wrong way around.

Would an RCD really have saved her life? I guess that it would. No RCD protection on sockets that may be used for outside circuits is my pet hate when doing PIRs.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Some wrongly think Double Insulated makes it safe. It does not.

For domestic use regs say BS4343 are out re unshuttered, yet we get have kept unshuttered hedge trimmer plug-n-socket connectors right by the appliance where people are likely to have damp hands from handling vegetation outside. I have never liked them, the finger protection terrifies me. The plug-n-socket have survived because without them people would use damaged appliance flexes due to having to buy a new appliance when the flex got damaged.

The ESC in sponsoring the weather could have used their charitable trust status to offer free plug-in RCD for outdoor appliances, perhaps "just =A34.99 to cover postage" or "collect 1 per customer with a utility bill free from B&Q". Selling off RoSPA's assets to fund it would achieve more than RoSPA have ever done.

Reply to
js.b1

I have my outdoor sockets on a 10mA RCD (or RCBO, actually).

I don't think there's any suggestion that anyone made that assumption here.

It's called a safety-break, and it's so that if you drop the tool whilst the cable is looped over your shoulder, it doesn't continue running, dangling in front of you. It used to be a requirement, but it seems like it might not be anymore. I notice my DIY grade B&D hedge trimmer has one, but my professional hedge trimmer doesn't, so it might also be related to the expected class of user or it might be that whilst some old BS required it, the current EU regs don't.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Perhaps brakes & double handle switches removed the need.

Perhaps making the plug moulded-on to the appliance end would be a good idea.

Reply to
js.b1

Perhaps brakes & double handle switches removed the need.

Perhaps making the plug moulded-on to the appliance end would be a good idea.

But in this sad case the connector had been modified/replaced. Anyone can cut off a moulded plug. It should be possible to mould the socket into the hedge trimmers like my lawn mower.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

It should, indeed if the lawn mower has a chassis mount then it is available.

Moulds for Injection moulding have a finite life so easy to integrate into the next product cycle. Who is up for writing to Bosch B&D Torx etc suggesting it? Perhaps they read uk.d-i-y (no, might terrify them :-)

Reply to
js.b1

If *you* are so clever, tell us just how earthing through rubber soled shoes saved the toddlers life.

This post is rhetorical, I don't expect any meaningful reply.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q