Electricity, security of supply

I thought a fresh thread might be wise.

The Sunday Times is singing TNPs tune!

The articles I have just skimmed could easily have been pasted from recent threads on energy:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

it probably was :-(

You would be surprised at how much stuff I have written (and others) that mysteriously appears in mainstream 'media' with almost no alteration.

As does glossy PR s**te from renewable UK, and the AGW protagonists.

Louise Gray in the Torygraph is the worst offender. No facts checked, and when she does make an alteration, she makes a total pigs ear of it and reduces eberyone to fits of laughter. But the Guardian is the best. They just make it up as they go along.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh. wife has an ST account. Its utter cobblers. Not sure what point the airhead is trying to make beyond a general attack on everybody and anybody..

Seems to be a generalised throwing of toys out of the pram because Someone Should Have Done Something. Well they did. They gave you useless whirlygigs and power stations that don't work in the dark.and charged you treble for it.And we told you what would happen.

As my particularly vulgar BIL says 'I'd like to kick her c*ut through her cranium'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Your relative isn't vulgar; he's a poet.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Probably where he cuts and pastes his dialogues from.

Reply to
harry

Very tedious if everyone posted chapter and verse of every source:-)

The ST has been non-committal on energy for years and this front page splurge represents quite a change.

Green energy would be welcome if it came at the same overall cost as other low CO2 sources.

There is a windmill array not far from TNP which may explain some of the vitriol:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

1/. it doesn't

2/. if it's intermittent it is valueless because you have to duplicate the capacity with something else, and the process of duplication means it barely saves any fuel and costs a lot more - costs which are not borne by 'renewable operators'. Just by us in terms of energy prifce rises.

Soon to be another. I wouldn't mind if it - say - was whacking out the sort of power that Sizewell does, but it isn't. Its whacking out f*ck all most of thee time. and piddling amounts of power when the wind does blow.

What infuriates me is the way the subsidies arrive completely independently of the technology actually doing its job.

The headline I reads somewhere sums it up 'Germany spends ?100bn to delay global warming by 37 minutes'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I was being gentle with Harry:-)

I resent as much as anyone the extra payment identified on my bills as:-

Renewable obligation

Feed in tariff

Administration

Fit recovery

On a usage of £152.13 the Harry extras came to £41.69.

This is npower.

Very rare to find any of them moving.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Well with all this cold wind you'd think they'd be doing some useful output over the last week but it looks very dismal the output that they are doing all of just under 2 GW at the moment....

Reply to
tony sayer

remebmer if harry's game puts £41,69 on your domestic bill, the average amount that will contribute to inflation is £80 odd. In short about £120 a year worse off by dint of harry and hi ilk.

Domestic users aren't the only users of electricity. Only about 1/3rd is domestic. Nor are some domestic customers stupid enough not to understand that - harry excepted of course.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher