Electricity problem

The PME metal tag on the chipboard does give a hint as to the type of supply:-)

ARW

Yes, and if you zoom in, there is that ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

That is about a good a solution as you can get.

But RCDs should not be tripping when there is a power cut.

Reply to
ARW

Unfortunately when the garage is affected it is the main RCD that trips, Also it is always either the house or garage main RCD which trips. But obviously the house is easier to deal with, as I do not need to manually open the garage door, so that does not need the hassle of re-programming it.

Reply to
Broadback

I thought (but can't check new because photobucket seems to be having a sulk) that you didn't *have* an RCD on the main board, only on the sub-boards in the house and garage?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Indeed - from the pictures I saw it looked like the first CU after the meter was the Memera 2000 unit with a main switch and two MCBs - one labelled house and the garage.

There is then the garage CU itself with RCD, and 6A and 16A MCBs, and the house CU Memera 21) with 6 MCBs and a slightly uncomon RCD with twiddly knob rather than the more typical switch.

The fix for the immediate problem is to add a 6A MCB to the Memera 2000, and connect (via surface or trunked cable runs) that to the garage door opener. That will ensure that a RCD can't inactivate the door.

A more complete fix would be to do something with the house CU as well since the single RCD covering all circuits is sub optimal shall we say. Given there are only 6 circuits, an "all RCBO" solution would not be too expensive.

Reply to
John Rumm