Electricity Monitors - Is there really a need for them?

Take a small freestanding fridge as an example.

Google suggests a cost £20 a year for electricity if it is A rated. An old C rated fridge may be using 2 to 3 times that amount of electricity. So you could save £40 a year on the electricity. So a 4 to 5 year payback time at best.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Narrower doors on cake shops is the solution.

mark

mark

Reply to
mark

Probably - or at least sleep them. It would also make sense to shut down the printers and scanners when you're not using them. What proportion of the time that they are on are they in use?

Reply to
Clive George

but then the disabled lobby will be complaining that wheelchairs can't get through

tim

Reply to
tim....

Thats a better ROI than a solar panel anyway :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its the sodding 10 minute warm up time when you want them that is the issue, and the fact the plugs are totally inaccessible..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But is it a net gain or loss taking into account old people who would otherwise die of hypothermia?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

And businessmen and MPs pay good money to Miss Susie Spanktastic to be told they're naughty boys...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The plugs thing is your own problem.

I know it's the warmup time you're trying to avoid, but really, how much do you use them? Give us some numbers.

Reply to
Clive George

embarrassingly little. thats why i want to know what they use...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

10 mins what for? The desktop PC's to boot, that's a bit excessive. Mine is slow probably 2 or 3 mins, long enough to make a cup of coffe anyway. It does get switched off, makes me more productive. No, "I'll just quickly (ha!) check email/usenet" when I'm passing the machine.

Inaccesable sockets can be solved for =A35 by three remote controlled sockets from Asda.

This thread has prompted me to see how much the stuff on the UPS is taking. It never drops below 23% load on a 750VA UPS, so thats around

170W, half of my night time base load... Hum, maybe it is time to look at low power miniITX based server instead of the current 800MHz PIII.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I have a rack of five servers, all mini-ITX, and the whole lot (apart from the switch that's in there) is under 150W.

Reply to
Bob Eager

the scanners take forever to warm up,Pcs well this one about 30 secs, BUT its backup runs over night. The wife's G5..a minute or so.

interesting.

I can thoroughly recommend this: I have an Atom 510MO board..in the smallest case that would take two disk drives. Its faster than the PIII it replaced..64 bit and a gig of ram, and gigabit ethernet.

more than good enough for its purpose.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

superb.

That's roughly what the vendor told me it would be.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Even better if you can avoid hard disks....one of them runs off a CF card (read only).

Reply to
Bob Eager

cant avoid that. Need lots of read writes. CF dont last very long with a lot of writes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not always the problem it seems. Decent flash will cope with a lot of write cycles (over 100,000 IIRC) - it depends whether your writes are spread around or concentrated into a few areas - and whether the unit has any decent wear levelling circuit.

To put it in context, a decent flash (eg Transcend) assuming a few GB size upwards written over an over from start to finish, continuosly will last (MTBF estimate) some decades.

Putting a swap file on a cheap unit however will not.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I know they don't. Hence the read only bit I mentioned.

NFS mount a file on one of the other machines...

Reply to
Bob Eager

well if you can tell me where to get 500GB flash for less than 30 quid that will take constant random writes and reads fr 5 years I'll buy some.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This is the NFS file server, begorrah! At least with OS-X I don't need ***ing appletalk on it as well. Just samba

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher