Electricity meter question. - Page 2

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread
Page 2 of 4   «first < 1
2
3 > last»
Re: Core memory [was Electricity meter question]

Of course, that's 512 bytes - not sure where the 'm' came from!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
 http://www.mirrorservice.org

Re: Core memory [was Electricity meter question]
Ha! I have 8kB from an IBM System 360.

It's not a whole lot of use, since it's framed and hanging in my hall.

--
Today is Setting Orange, the 62nd day of Discord in the YOLD 3177
               http://www.reverbnation.com/scudpenguin

Re: Core memory [was Electricity meter question]
Is that millibytes?

--
Mike Barnes

Re: Core memory [was Electricity meter question]
I have a PDP8 core memory board, although you have to peer between a
sandwich of boards to see what looks like the piece of fabric.
It's probably still got someone's data or a fortan compiler or
similar stored in it.

I tried to get an old GEC 4080 core memory board (which is much bigger)
when I worked for GEC, but they got more and more valuable after
manufacture ceased due to continuing demand for spares, and no one
ever chucked one out (actually, any faulty ones got painstakingly
repired).

--
Andrew Gabriel

Re: Core memory [was Electricity meter question]

attribution
Nowt wrong with core memory - data retained when powered off. I used
to load test programs into core stores and take them to site to run
diagnostics on the Ferranti Argus 500 and 700 machines I cut my teeth
on.

AWEM

Re: Electricity meter question.
And just  how much power are these generating on an average day ?..
--
Tony Sayer

Re: Electricity meter question.
about 30W/sq meter average.

Could be over a KW on a hot sunny day.

Re: Electricity meter question.
My system is quite small = 16.7 sq m rated at 2.35kWp.
It has produce 350kWh since 1st February this year which will pay out
£150 ish plus any saving on power consumed.
As the sun gets higher in the sky the daily totals are rising.
Yesterday was 11.25kWh. Instantaneous power available is regularly in
excess of 1.6kW and can exceed 2kW
Even on a grey day when it is raining, 3-4kWh are produced per day

Bob

Re: Electricity meter question.
so in *real* terms it produces an input worth between 12p  and 45p per
day, if you discount the ridiculous subsidies.

Re: Electricity meter question.
+1: the ridiculous (and exempt from tax) subsidies which are a massive
transfer of funds from  flat dwellers, those with small rooves, and
North facing rooves to people with big rooves facing South or big
gardens. In short, mainly from the poor to the rich.

But to come back to DIY,  what kind of paint or other covering would
adhere best to solar panels?  And could it (for speed) be poured rather
than brushed or sprayed?
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0hotmailcom

Re: Electricity meter question.
Depends how you want to evaluate it.
If I arrange to consume or in some way store that energy that I would
otherwise pay 11-12p per kWh for, it can be worth 45p to £1.25 per day.

Bob

Re: Electricity meter question.
On Apr 21, 10:30am, Bob Minchin

Let's say a quid a day, because it's easier.

So how much did it cost? Any thoughts on the breakeven point?

Re: Electricity meter question.
Andy
If you are considering the breakeven point, then the incentive payments
dominate. So in addition to your rounded "quid a day" add a further 4
quid in incentives and exported power payments.
Then index link that at RPI ( the uplift used recently was 4.8%)
However, in practice it is quite difficult to manage domestic
consumption to follow the time profile of the sun's availability so
treat the "quid a day" as a bonus and just use the 4 quid a day

Lets say useful output for 200 days a year (a guess as I have no data yet)
So a minimum return of ?800 per annum indexed and tax free.
Capital cost ?8500 paid from savings that was otherwise earning 3/5ths
of f'all in the building society (taxed at 40% to boot)

Too many unknowns (RPI and electricity price inflation vs building
society interest rates) to work out a payback period but it should be
paid for in 10 years and the scheme contract runs for 25 years.

hth

Bob

Re: Electricity meter question.
On Apr 22, 3:50am, Bob Minchin

It did strike me that a better situation would be a house with two
separate supplies, and fitting the PV to one of these, that you don't
use any supply for yourself. Given the subsidies, this "magic solar
electricity" is far too valuable to use yourself.

By strange circumstance, I happen to have two electricity supplies to
this place...

Re: Electricity meter question.
I think you might have missed the point a bit Andy.

You get paid the tariffs based on what you generate NOT what you feed
into the grid*. You are even better off if you can use the power as well
but that is not easy as a normal household is not running high power
loads in the middle of bright sunny days.

*until smart metering is rolled out when they will be able to
differentiate between power flowing in different directions and read the
data remotely.

Bob

Re: Electricity meter question.
So fit an aircon unit:-)
--
Adam

Re: Electricity meter question.
That is about the only load that I have come up with that is needed when
the solar PV output is at it's peak.

Maybe one day?

Bob

Re: Electricity meter question.
Could you not use the PV o/p to drive a large fan which is pointed at a
small wind turbine which also qualifies for the subsidies?

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0hotmailcom

Re: Electricity meter question.

Hmmm.....   I've got a rig in the shed at the moment where a motor is
driving a couple of home-brew wind turbine alternators. It's a lot
easier to test them this way than doing it up the pole!

Re: Electricity meter question.

8<

You can always run the tumble dryer.

Threaded View