Electricity Bills? A cautionary tale....

.... for anyone who was originally a customer of Eastern Electricity!

If you were originally a customer of Eastern Electricity, who were bought out by TXU Energi, who in turn were taken over by PowerGen, *and* you had two meter positions but only one account, check your accounts for the last couple of years!

I have a domestic supply, with a 3ph meter in the garage and a 1ph meter in the house. Where a property was obviously only a single dwelling, with no mixed business premises, EE used to aggregate the meter readings and treat the units consumed as a single supply, so only one set of primary units (economy 7) and one set of standing charges. TXU Energi continued to do this, but.....

They introduced a new billing program about 12 months ago, where each and every meter is treated as a supply in its own rights, so suddenly I was being charged for two lots of primary units and two lots of standing charges. I didn't spot this the first quarter it happened, although I do normally check the bills when they come in, to make sure there aren't any hiccups!

When I did spot it, I took it up with TXU who said 'Oops, looks like our new billing program can't deal with it, we agree you shouldn't be paying double charges'. Because they couldn't sort it out, they made a temporary credit onto my account to cover the overpayment of charges for a 12 month period.

I also refered the query to EnergyWatch coz there would be other customers who would be affected. EnergyWatch and TXU appear to have done nothing for the last 9 months, and I've recently done some serious arse-kicking, which has brought the thing back to the boil again.

Like I said, if you have two meter positions but you are classed as a single premises, check back over your accounts for the last couple of years. You could be paying more than you should!

Reply to
Wanderer

Nothing surprises me with TXU. WE had the same lecky supplier since

1970 and I have finally lost patience and switched to Southern. I am not at all surprised TXU went belly up. smicker
Reply to
smicker

Surely though if you have two electricity supplies then you should be paying for two service as there are two accounts to service, to seperate supplies to maintain, and no doubt to seperate compensation claims if your supply is of for more than 18 hours. If you want to pay for one supply then you should feed you single phase service via a sub main from the 3 phase, or vice versa, load and circum stance permitting.

Steve Dawson

Reply to
Steve Dawson

Not for me to question why Eastern Electricity decided that single heraditments with two supplies was to be treated as a single supply for billing purposes.

Reply to
Wanderer

I completely agree with you as it would be very unusual in the REc that I used to work for. But who knows what goes on now.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Dawson