Electrician cost?

Hi,

Just had a quote from an electrician (Solihull area), seems a bit steep to me - any thoughts?

1 extra twin socket in master bedroom (probably under floor) 2 extra twins in 3rd bedroom (trunking from nearest socket) 1 flourescent in loft 1 flourecent in garage 1 twin in garage, tidy up existing bodges 2 outside lights (which we buy first), plus a movement detector.

He's quoted 340 for all this, seem reasonable? I've not been able to get any other sparks to come round in the time I've had off work so I've not been able to get a comparison.

Thanks

Reply to
mike. buckley

Sounds OK to me, especially if it includes parts. There's a lot of work in there, and it all has to be tested too. You should end up with a fair splattering of minor works certificates, or even a full size one to cover the whole lot.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

In message , Christian McArdle writes

Apart from the outside lights he's supplying all the parts. Thanks for that - sets my mind at rest a bit. I know none of the work is particularly difficult but some of the existing bodges look a bit hairy, which is why I called a pro!

Reply to
mike. buckley

Always get a few quotes, though. Although it seems OK to me, it could be well off the pace in your local area.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

You would probably enjoy the light installations I've just installed as a replacement for the existing lights.

Metal ceiling fittings. Earths not attached, just left dangling. Earths not fully insulated with green/yellow sleeving. Very slight pressure on the cable caused the switched live to detach from the choc block. Switched live was black cable with no red sleeve.

It was a complete mess. I mean before I started - afterwards it was neat and tidy and I'm sure would be appreciated by a pro.

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If you need to contact me please submit your comments via the web form at

apologise for the additional effort, however the level of unsolicited email I receive makes it impossible to advertise my real email address!

Reply to
PoP