Electrically heated towel rail - Thermostatic element + timer

I want to install an electrically heated towel rail in the bathroom - running it from the CH is not practical.

I would like to use a Terma thermostatic element like

because it gives more control over my Electricity Bill.

But the better half also wants me to fit a 24 hour timer so it can pre- heat in the mornings.

see

If I fit the timer, then the Terma will keep being switched off & on. I imagine that this means it will forget any settings.

Would it be better to just fit a 'dumb' thermostatic element?

I'm not the first to do this, so I'd like to hear what others have done & how well it worked out.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Not necessarily, many devices can remember the setting during power cuts etc. Check with the manufacturer or maybe find somewhere to download the instruction which might tell you the answer.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

In message , Sam Plusnet writes

Not sure what you mean by a 'dumb' one, and I don't know if that one forgets where it is set. But I've fitted one with a little manual dial thermostat. (CH towel rad so mine is just for the summer so haven't decided what control I will use yet. Thinking I might just use a boost switch so it will automatically turn off)

No idea how well it works as the system isn't back up and running yet.

I bought this, there are other wattages and white ones etc.

Reply to
chris French

By a 'dumb' one I mean one with a bi-metal strip type thermostat. Switching the power off wouldn't have any effect on its settings, but it does relatively crude temperature control (overshoots & undershoots with a fair amount of hysteresis).

Thanks for the link, I'll have a nose through that website.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

I did try, but the manufacturer's information (product description & installation instructions) I was able to find made no mention of it. As manufacturers are usually keen to tell you all about the wonders of their product, I suspect it doesn't remember much.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

How much!

But do you want to pre-heat at the same time *every* morning? Get aroundable with a 7 day timer to some extent. Personally I'd just go for a suitably sized heater(*) and one of the controllers that give you a timed on period when you want it. Most give you a selection of "on" periods, from 30 min to 3 hours witha couple of intermediate steps. Can't be "accidentally" left on like a time switch put into manual because you are late up and it's gone off...

(*) Not sure if this is a stand alone towel rail or one also part of the CH system. The latter probably doesn't need a stat as the heat losses from a radiator/towel rail sized to heat the room will be huge compared to the electrical input.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

This looks identical to a TERMA unit that I use in a heated towel rail. Controlled by Sangamo time switch. It heats in the morning and evening. It remembers all settings. HTH, Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Thanks Nick.

I read all through the technical stuff I could find on the Terma website & they didn't mention that fact that the memory is no-volatile - very strange since most firms want to hit you over the head with all the good stuff about their products.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Terma heating elements like MEG, MOA and their KTX range will remember las t settings used. Even if the power supply is cut off. These are microchip b ased products. Heating is electronically controlled. Some devices offer mor e than just a temperature control. MOA is a neat, small device with 2hrs b ooster/timer. KTX3 offers simple daily timer and dryer function. KTX4 has an infrared functionality allowing you to control heating element via exter nal infrared controller (flexible programmes). Terma's website is worth a v isit at

jdbaska1