Electrical switched cable outlet plate

I have a plug/socket behind my fridge-freezer which is pushing it too far from the wall and i am considering different ways to reduce this

I am looking at a switched outlet plate - this way I can wire the cable directly into the socket thereby losing the plug altogether

I've seen this one:

it reads correctly - the cord/cable outlet (assume the little black dot top/left) looks too small for a std 13 amp freezer cable

Does it look right to you? or can you think of a better way short of moving the socket altogether

Reply to
JethroUK

Appropriate idea - but you can get one in white plastic for less than a fiver. Do you have a Screwfix or B&Q nearby?

Reply to
John

That's what you want, a "switched spur with flex outlet", but don't pay that kind of price for something that'll be hidden from view. Many of them can have the cable coming out of the side rather than the front (you may have to file a bit out of the plate and/or wall), which reduces the required depth even more. See, for example,

chrisj.doran

If it's behind the freezer do you really want an expensive chrome one? There are plastic ones available where the cord outlet is to the side rather than front therefore saving more depth. Here's one example:-

Dave Plowman (News)

Go to your local shed/B&Q/Wickes/whathaveyou and look for a plain white unit. Pick one with a knock out on the bottom - a cable sticking straight out from the plate probably isn't going to make a good replacement for a plug & socket combination.

/jk

Reply to
John Kenyon

I got one cheers