Electrical supply to grill in the kitchen

I need to replace the built in oven as the gas grill no longer works. I can do a straight replacement but you can only get one gas oven gas grill. If I get a gas oven electric grill I will have to put in a dedicated supply. I think the rating is 15 amps so i assume I can run 15 amp cable or will it have to be with 30 amp cable. I also assume that I have to put an isolator in the kitchen which is going to be a problem as the kitchen is tiled. Are there regulations for the location of the isolator? Can I share an existing 30 amp mcb on the consumer unit that connects to a 30 amp socket to run an air compressor which hasn't been used in years and is unlikely to be used when th grill is in use, if at all.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

It depends on the power of the electric part. Many single electric ovens are only around 2.4kW and designed to be plugged into a normal circuit.

Again you need to work back from the rating of the appliance, then take into account the length of the cable run and how and where it will be installed - all these will affect the choices you need to make for the cable.

If you post details here of the electrical requirements of the oven we may be able to help.

Isolators for cooking appliances need to be within 2m of the appliance ideally.

So long as the cable has adequate fault protection from the MCB, then yes.

Reply to
John Rumm

There is no reg stopping you from fitting one in a kitchen cupboard if that would help you.

Reply to
ARW

I checked the specs again and the electric grills seem to be 1.8kW or

2.4 kW so within the rating of a 13 amp cable. I also have a spare unused 16 amp mcb on the consumer unit so I just need to work how get a cable to the kitchen without ripping up floor boards.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

/I checked the specs again and the electric grills seem to be 1.8kW or

2.4 kW so within the rating of a 13 amp cable. I also have a spare unused 16 amp mcb on the consumer unit so I just need to work how get a cable to the kitchen without ripping up floor boards.

Kevin /q

Just plug it into a socket?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

I agree. There is no need to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Reply to
ARW

Do you really need a dedicated circuit for this? Plugging it into an existing socket circuit would seem like an easy way forward unless that is already seriously loaded.

Reply to
John Rumm

+1

NT