Electrical Sockets

Hi, I am about to install a fitted kitchen, but would like to do all the 1st fix electrics myself.

What I would like to know is, what is the ideal height within the kitchen to chase the walls for wiring and back boxes for the sockets?

The current sockets fitted by the previous owner are all at different heights, believe me no two sockets are the same height!

So any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
Mark

If you're going to tile, I'd make sure they are in the middle of a tile run at least 4" above the worktops to the bottom of a socket.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You need to decide what height above the worktop you want them. A typical figure an electrician would use in the absence of any other info is 105cm from the floor surface to the bottom of the back box. Don't forget to add on the thickness of any flooring which isn't yet fitted though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I like 6" to the bottom of the box so the first tile sits nicely under the socket, then 18" above that to the wall units. Can leave you with a couple of L shaped tiles to cut in the 2nd row though.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

That would also be fine, but of course depends on the size of the tiles.

No problem with an electric tile cutter. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Personally I prefer them higher than that, so they are up out of the way of worktop clutter. but as long as the person using them is happy I don't think it matters

Reply to
chris French

I might just agree with you there, but I'll still do the other 99% of the cuts without :-)

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I prefer a perfect edge on all my cut tiles regardless of the time taken. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Aren't we forbidden to do our own electrics under recent legislation?

Reply to
Bob Martin

Part P police are on the way as we speak......

Dave

Reply to
dave stanton

Reply to
Frank Erskine

therin lies madness :-)

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Heh heh. I actually like to take my time when tiling, as with much else DIY. Madness, probably. But then I don't feel inclined to need to do a makeover every couple of years. ;-) Never one to follow fashion.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That should not be a problem. If you do nothing drastic or rash to the house decorations (especially an older property) then every so often you will be back in fashion.

I do believe that wall papering ceilings is now coming back into fashion. I wonder if people will paper straight over the holes they made last year in an attempt to have fashionable spot lighting in their lounge.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 21:18:32 GMT,it is alleged that "ARWadsworth" spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

Shouldn't have had to make holes last year, the ones from the 70s would have been good enough

Reply to
Chip

Yes, but that never stop any competent DIY doing it! After all, how th hell are they going to catch you? And say they did catch yo (hypothetically) how can they prove that you did it? Just blame th previous owners of your house

-- Part P Avoider

Reply to
Part P Avoider

That won't work, I've been here 40 years!

Reply to
Bob Martin

The important question is whether they can prove that you did it *after* the introduction of Part P. Prior to that, it was perfectly legal to DIY without having it inspected.

Reply to
Set Square

Knowing my luck the parts I used probably have some hidden date code.

Reply to
Bob Martin

Reply to
Part P Avoider