Electrical Socket Locations in Kitchen (bit long)

Hi all

This Part P is going to be a pain in the proverbial. Without it, I could have done the kitchen wiring in stages. Yes it would have taken longer, but the disruption to SWMBO would be controllable!

Anyway, onto the matter in hand......... We have (almost) determined a layout for the kitchen and already the questions are arising. Along one wall, the unit layout is likely to be as shown here

at the left hand end I chase a vertical drop down form loft (concrete floors) to a double socket - then chase down to below worktop height to continue the ring behind the base units. If the first 600 wide base unit (left of the hob) houses a dishwasher, how is that usually supplied:

  1. with a switched fused spur above worktop height alongside first double and drop down to socket (so accessible isolation is available at the spur)
  2. with a single socket below worktop, within "ring" so no access until dishwasher is removed.

So I run the ring continuation left to right behind the base units in trunking (I believe that there is a service void behind most units to accommodate this practice), chasing/looping up to double sockets along the wall as necessary.

The key question now is: what do I do for the units to the right of the worktop. The thing is that the tall unit to the right of the oven is to be a concealed fridge-freezer. So where is the socket for this located? For info, the tall unit far right is to be for cleaning items, ironing board etc.

For the oven/hob I intended to chase down to a common oven/hob isolation switch, chase down below worktop level for the hob feed and chase right for the oven feed. I have a new 6mm feed ungrouped and uninsulated which I hope will not restrict our selection of oven/hob combination.

Any comments on this first step into the unknown greatly appreciated.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
scullsterhome

It would be easier to chase down to the first socket and then turn right there.

Yup - so you wire in a horizontal line from the first socket, dropping in sockets and double pole switches (with neons if you want - check out TLCs ultimate range - very neat and nice to wire as well) as required. You can then have a single cable drop to a single socket in each appliance gap.

No, you want to be able to isolate without pulling the appliance out.

You can sometimes cheat by positioning sockets on the back wall in adjacent cupboards, so you can get to the lead without moving the appliance.

I would do it above, only dropping switched spurs to sockets as required.

To keep options open I would place a socket at above worktop height in the tall cupboard to the right of the FF one, and have a plug sized cutout against the wall at the back right hand side of the FF space. That way you can just open the rightmost cupboard to isolate the FF.

(make it a double and you have a handy cupboard for recharging your big torch or dustbuster).

Eclectic oven and hob? Chase down to the side of the hob - say 300mm or more to the left. Turn right at mid base unit height and fit a cable outlet and single socket (the socket used if it is a single oven - for a double it will probably need to share the cable outlet with the hob) flush in the wall behind the oven. That will let you switch both together.

Reply to
John Rumm

Why on earth are you taking the slightest notice of the silly thing?

Reply to
EricP

"John Rumm" wrote

snip........

John

Thanks for your time in creating such a useful reply. Much appreciated. By the way - just thought I'd give the Alno kitchen planner another plug (the software used to create the image). No commercial interest/ties just so impressed with this free download.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

got a URL for it?

Reply to
John Rumm

"John Rumm" wrote

Main site link

link

've tried a few and this is excellent software Define your room size then drag the units from the side libraries - plenty of choice in size and fittings, but some items are not quite in the category you would expect to find them. When you have placed a few items, switch to 3D mode to see the result.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster