Electrical Safety

I have just bought an electrical keyboard synthersiser online, but the AC Adapter takes a 120Volt input. I am just wondering whether the following arrangement would be safe or not?

Mains Socket Supply-> 240V-to-120V transformer->120V-to-12V Adapter for the keyboard->Electrical Keyboard synthersiser

Also, is it safe to plug the 120V input AC Adapter directly into the 120V socket of the "Shavers Transformer" which was marked "Shavers Only"? Why is it that "Shavers point" are for shavers only?

Reply to
peter

On Wed, 19 May 2004 00:43:14 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "peter" strung together this:

Does it just take a 120v input or will it take a wider range of voltages. Some PSUs accept 120-250v ish.

Yep, that'd work, all in a suitable box of course.

Yes, it'll work in the socket. The "shavers only" refers to the fact that it is a double insulated transformer that has no earth connection, it is also only a low powered transformer, typically about

20VA.
Reply to
Lurch

Just go and buy a cheap 240V to 12V transformer of the appropriate rating and with an appropriate plug.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Why not buy a 240V to 12V adaptor for the keyboard...?

What is the Keyboard and 12 adaptor is it...?

I have a spare 240V - 12V 850mA adaptor for a Yamaha. It has a + center pin. the plug on the end has a ring on the outside and a small pin in the middle.

If it is of use to you, go to my website and send me a message via the contact button with your name and address details. It won't cost you a penny.

-- troubleinstore

troubleinstore

As others have said, why not just buy a 240 volts AC transformer that gives an output of 12 Volts DC or AC whatever the keyboard takes ? The 120 V is for the US market and the UK market uses 240 V. Your keyboard should take either as long as the output from the transformer is supplied at 12 V with the appropriate ampage, or slightly higher. The most important part of the 12 V supply output is the ampage rating from the transformer. Without the correct ampage the keyboard won't work properly because it draws a certain amount of load current from the supply (ampage) so check that any transformer you buy can supply that ampage or slightly more.

Reply to
BigWallop

As an example, this one:

£12.99 and has a variable output voltage at 1 amp, and it comes with different adaptor heads for different socket connections.

Reply to
BigWallop

They should really change this given electric toothbrushes etc.

You'd also need to be certain the transformer in the shaver socket is up to supplying the required current, but I'd guess it would.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Maybe I'm missing something here, nobody seemed to think that it would be odd that he would be plugging an electrical synthesiser into a shaving socket in the bathroom? If the cable was long enough he could sit on the bog and play a tune - or sing in the shower with accompaniment! You would have to limit your audiences and the size of your band! :-)

Reply to
Derek

2 more points to consider: is the present PSU regulated or unregulated? If its reg, you'll need the replacement to be reg as well.

If you use the shaver socket option, is the socket rated for 20VA continuous? I wouldnt be surprised if it were rated 20VA intermittent, and fried when run 20VA continuous.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton