Electrical re-wire

I'm planning to do a partial house re-wire. Existing cabling is sound and legal (16th edition) but I need to add some additional sockets and I also want to split the ring main from existing single RM circuit to create two rings (Kitchen and rest of house). Question: Do I have to cover the cables with either plastic or metal capping or is this optional ?

thanks Andy

Reply to
ac1951

The 'On-Site Guide" will tell you you this (and lots of other useful stuff).

Cables don't have to be capped in any way (i.e. can just be buried in the plaster) if they are in 'permitted areas', these are (basically):-

150mm band of wall adjacent to a vertical corner. 150mm band of wall below ceiling. Vertically from an exposed accessory (e.g. switch or socket). Horizontally from an exposed accessory.

Ouside of these areas buried cables must either be capped with a metal protection or be at least 50mm deep.

This is all from memory so check it before doing all the work, as I said I suggest you get a copy of the "On Site Guide".

Reply to
tinnews

What he said, and

*earthed* metal protection if this is the case.

Yup, well worth it.

Reply to
John Rumm

Does the capping really have to be earthed? Is it a recent requirement? The reason I ask is that when we had our kitchen installed a few years ago the electrician applied some capping to some cables that would be buried diagonally in plaster but I saw no sign of the capping being earthed. He seemed competent as far as I could tell...

~~ Bob

Reply to
bob.smithson

I was going to ask that too (fan of On Site Guide and Whitfield)

Reply to
newshound

I've just had my kitchen refitted and was chatting today (ok - yesterday!) to the electrician doing his 'second fix'. The old cables which he recovered last week were capped with plastic capping - the new ones he simply laid vertically beneath the plaster-to-be (even for some very adjacent socket-outlets). He used to work for Moben but left on account of their cowboy sort of image and now chiefly sub-contracts for local installation firms. He was saying however that Moben used to insist on steel conduit for all their installs. As he said, even metal capping hardly resists most modern things driven into walls such as hardened pins.

Realistically, I think that if anybody brays a hole of any sort into a wall without checking for wiring behind, they deserve all they might get...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

If you are outside of the permitted zones and not >= 50mm deep then yes.

(iii) below seems to allow unearthed protection but only if it is man enough for the job.

So since capping alone (even metal) provides relatively little protection it would need earthing.

The relevant bit of BS7671 is:

"522-06-06 A cable concealed in a wall or partition at a depth of less than 50 mm from the surfaces of the wall or partition shall:

(i) incorporate an earthed metallic covering which complies with the requirements of these Regulations for a protective conductor of the circuit concerned, the cable complying with BS 5467, BS 6346, BS 6724, BS 7846, BS EN 60702-1 or BS 8436, or

(ii) be of insulated concentric construction complying with BS 4553-1, BS 4553-2 or BS 4553-3, or

(iii) be enclosed in earthed conduit, trunking or ducting satisfying the requirements of these Regulations for a protective conductor, or be mechanically protected sufficient to prevent penetration of the cable by nails, screws and the like, or

(iv) be installed in a zone within 150 mm from the top of the wall or partition or within 150 mm of an angle formed by two adjoining walls or partitions. Where the cable is connected to a point, accessory or switchgear on any surface of the wall or partition, the cable may be installed in a zone either horizontally or vertically, to the point, accessory or switchgear. Where the location of the accessory, point or switchgear can be determined from the reverse side, a zone formed on one side of a wall of 100 mm thickness or less or partition of 100 mm thickness or less extends to the reverse side."

Reply to
John Rumm

Guys,

Many thanks for your input and contribution. I think John as made the position very clear and I'll also get hold of a copy of the guide book mentioned by others.

Cheers Andy

Reply to
ac1951

I was just by chance talking to an Electrician who told me that he covers all cables with plastic cladding when its' a new build property. He says he does this because Plasterers have often damaged cables .....

Reply to
ac1951

I just called my local authority re building regs and approvals... They told me, I have to fill out a form (which he as put in the post) They will inspect after 1st fixing is complete then again after 2nd fix Total cost =A3170 which seems reasonable to me ....

I didn't mention it was a partial rewire but I assume I will be able to state this on the form so there's no problem when the guy arrives to inspect 1st fix and finds light fittings and some sockets already in-place... .

.
Reply to
ac1951

Yup, that is quite common practice... not difficult to nick a cable with a trowel.

Reply to
John Rumm

I would phone again and ask what the standard building notice fee is. If it is less than that you could ask him to explain why they charge more when it is in direct contradiction to section 1.26 of part P of the building regs.

Reply to
John Rumm

Tried to raise my next question under a new topic but seem to have failed so I'll raise it here ........

I need to also sort out the earth bonding in the bathroom and kitchen, I assume that this involves making sure that the Hot and Cold water supply to sinks, baths and showers are bonded together, but should there be an earth cable from the bonding in each of these areas back to consumer unit or can this be connected into the back of the nearest power socket and what size does the earth cable need to be ?

Andy

Reply to
ac1951

I will answer this over in that thread since others have started there...

Reply to
John Rumm

So, for a cable in a wall:

(i) The cable has to be armoured. (ii) Armoured. (iii) In an earthed conduit OR physically protected from nails etc. (iv) In a special zone.

I don't see how any of this is relevant to steel capping, the only purpose of which is to protect cables from the plasterer.

tom.harrigan

well metal clad - MICC for example.

Correct... and that is the point at which we came in, highlighting that Tim's original comment of "Outside of these areas buried cables must either be capped with a metal protection or be at least 50mm deep." was only partly on the money since it needs to be earthed protection (or seriously strong) to serve that purpose.

Reply to
John Rumm