Electrical question - power factors

At 50Hz, two homes on the same phase can be considered as being co-sited, with their loads in parallel. In the situation described, there will indeed be no reactive current from the common point where the two loads actually end up being connected in parallel (at the point on the mains distribution cable in the street where the house nearest to the substation taps off its feed), and back to the substation. There will only be reactive currents on the 'feed-in' cables from this common point to each house, so the additional losses should be minuscule.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

big cable with lots of voltage drop.

Theres a lot of misinformation about concerning pc power consumption, fuelled by the 'bigger number is better' philosophy of sales of PSUs. Its en exceptional system that uses 350w.

NT

Reply to
NT

with lots of voltage drop.

My server I hope is sub 10W..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

a big cable with lots of voltage drop.

yes the power supplies are rated at 350W liike a car is rated as it's maxium MPH 120 that doesn;t mean that it's the average speed or even the likeliy speed. My G4 PSU is rated at 338W or there about, typical wattage measured by one of those Maplin tpyoe ddevices was 130-140W.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Indeed, my machine is 4x core (older greedier intel CPU) 8GB ram,

10xSATA, 2x optical drives, 1x graphics card, 2x TV tuners, 2x satellite tuners and it still only manages to take 110W (apart from during startup)

But it's easier to find ATX PSUs between 750W and 1kW, than find one less than 400W.

Reply to
Andy Burns

It's not unknown at all - at least from the point of view of making a rough estimate. The resistance value you need is just the resistive component of the source impedance of your mains connection - and that, in most cases, will be dominated by the resistance of your service cable. There's not much point going much further back in the supply network - as you do so the resistances of the larger cables get very much smaller and the source impedances become more reactive (inductive).

A typical source resistance might be between 50 and 100 milliohm, although it could be higher or lower by a factor of (say) two or three either way. Assuming 0.1 ohm the I^2*R loss resulting from the 49 mA current in question is just under a quarter of a milliwatt - i.e. utterly negligible. In fact more is lost in your house wiring supplying the 'wattless' load. For a very typical value of 0.4 ohm resistance in the wiring to a 13 A socket halfway round a ring circuit you will loose a whole milliwatt. Well it will contribute to your heating in the winter...

Reply to
Andy Wade

Why?

Reply to
Tim Streater

with lots of voltage drop.

Dual-core Brisbane, 1900MHz - not cutting-edge but fast enough for now.

Reply to
PeterC

That is a problem. My Seasonic PSU is 330W, but nowadays 380W is the lowest. I've enough spare capacity to run the speakers and the screen. As doing that would get the PSU above 20% (only 45W idling and about 110W starting atm) it would decrease its ineffeciency.

Reply to
PeterC

A decent processor uses 130 watts. A decent graphics card uses 75, 150, or 225 watts.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

with lots of voltage drop.

TWO cores? Ugh.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

cable with lots of voltage drop.

My PSU is rated at 1kW. It gets 350 watts on the maplin type device.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

cable with lots of voltage drop.

What?!!??

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Ah. Understood.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

An early home computer.

Roger Chapman

More twaddle from the Loo-tenant. My Mini uses no more than 110 for everything. And usually, considerably less than that (fan almost never goes on).

Reply to
Tim Streater

Dell R610 1U rack mount server - currently 184W assuming 0.95 PF.

That's nearly idle - VMWare ESXi 4.1, one Windows Server 2008 VM running vCenter.

But not bad for a 12 core, 96GB RAM server. Be happy to report on its consumption with 30 VMs on it in about 2 weeks...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Oh, is he still here?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Look you ignorant fool, some people have more powerful machines than your overpriced Apple s**te, and make full use of all the processor cores (and the graphics card cores).

Go and read up on the Intel site and see what an i7 processor consumes. Then go read up on high spec graphics cards with twin PCI Express power connectors.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott