Electrical question

Need to extend power & lighting to a conservatory from a kitchen. Extending the power is simple since spurs from local sockets are easily available. The question is, is it acceptable to use this same feed to also provide lighting? The correct procedure I know, would be to tap the lighting off the lighting ring, but access to this wopuld involve ripping up of floorboards & generally creating a mess. So, would my shortcut be legal but frowned upon, or an IEE violation? Thanks, Chris.

Reply to
cj squirms

You can use a spur to supply lighting but you will need to use a fused connection unit at 3A.

Remember that each spur must only supply one point (single socket, double socket, or FCU).

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Put the lighting feed through a 5A FCU

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Unless it is a fused spur, after which you may supply multiple sockets.

My only concern in a kitchen is that these rings are often highly loaded already and might not be a good candidate for expansion.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

True if you run a big ac in the conservatory off it. But most conservatories are very lightly loaded.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

I bet it is pretty common to run a 3kW fan heater in there. I know I do in winter (just for 15 minutes before sitting down to eat), as I haven't got round to installing the fan convector.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Don't forget to lable up the fuseboard, if you have a fuse/mcb saying 'downstairs lights' or 'lights' it should have something like 'exept conservatory'. The spur unit should be labled up too. Though it is quite common in houses to have the landing light wired from the downstairs lights, without it labled up.

Regards, Blew

Reply to
David Blewitt