Electrical query - waterproof enclosures for fuse boxes, etc

Can anyone please recommend an (online?) supplier of waterproof housings/boxes for mains electrics, ie to house a main fuse box, circuit breakers, interconnections, etc?

I'll explain more fully - this is needed for an out-building which has a waterproof roof yet is open on some sides (ie the rain can blow in at times along with mist, fog and general damp). The existing fuse box, etc is in a very poor state (rusty, etc) and I have already employed an electrician to do the job of replacing it and installing it all in a suitable waterproof housing. However, his main supplier is having a hard job getting hold of the required waterproof boxes. He doesn't want the 'bog standard' ones that the local power distributor supplies as they're apparently a bit tacky and fragile, instead he's trying to get hold of some better ones.

I am personally sick and tired of waiting so thought that I'd make my own enquiries. The required boxes (2 are needed) will need to be about

2 feet in height by 1 foot wide.

Can anyone give me any pointers please?

Thanks

Reply to
max-man

Try:

or most electrical wholesalers should be able to help

Something like:

do what you want.

HTH,

Chris

Reply to
Chris

>> Empty Enclosures >> Electricity>

Automation & Cables > Enclosures & Fans > Electrical/Industrial > Wall Boxes > Polyester and Polycarbonate

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Thanks for both of the replies, most helpful. :)

I have now also found that the enclosures he has on order are made by Gewiss. Does anyone know if there are any online suppliers of Gewiss enclosures? Their web site is particularly unhelpful in this respect and despite hunting around I've had no luck finding any mail order suppliers.

Thanks.

Reply to
max-man

Hmm - "the local power distributor" - sounds like he's refering to meter cabinets. Considering how many there are in use throughout the country, I suspect he's lined you up for something that he can make a tidy profit on. Personally, I'd have thought a surface-mounting meter cabinet would have been ideal for the purpose (assuming they're still available).

Yes, you're employing him to do a job - you're the boss. Tell him you're not prepared to wait any longer, and that you want him to source a cabinet elsewhere. Others have given you some pointers to alternative suppliers. Tell him to get on with it.

Reply to
The Wanderer

You could use an IP rated consumer unit to begin with.

i.e.

be fine sitting in your "bus stop".

Christian.

Reply to