Electrical problem

Thanks sponix but I think you're thinking of the MCBs rather than the RCD :o)

Mogweed.

Reply to
Mogweed

Mogweed was thinking very hard :

It sounds as if you/he have managed to mix up the ring circuits, such that - one of the circuits protected by RCD is mixed up with one not on the RCD. Thus causing an unbalanced load on the RCD, hence it tripping.

Try disconnecting each pair of 2.5mm in turn and make sure you have continuity between each pair of both reds and blacks.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Or even browns and blues :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

On or around Fri, 11 Nov 2005 19:27:25 +0000, --s-p-o-n-i-x-- mused:

A split load board installed by a mate with 2 identical RCD's in? Stick to whatever it is you do normally.

Reply to
Lurch

Well, I have had plug in RCDs that trip when loaded with non-earthed appliances..

sponix

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

On or around Fri, 11 Nov 2005 19:21:12 -0000, "Mogweed" mused:

Nope, seperate neutral bars for RCD and non-RCD circuits. Did the circuit ever work? If it did, then the misplaced neutral idea is wrong as that would trip the RCD from day one.

Reply to
Lurch

Not on a split-load CU they don't - separate neutral bars for RCD and non-RCD.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

So you are saying one RCD protects the whole house? That's a pretty stupid idea in addition to the fact it contravenes 16th edition regulations.

sponix

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

Frank Erskine has brought this to us :

Not if he is trying to circumvent 'Part P' :-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

On or around Fri, 11 Nov 2005 20:37:35 +0000, --s-p-o-n-i-x-- mused:

Dr Dimwit?

It doesn't contravene BS7671, under certain circumstances, and a standard slit load board has one RCD covering *some* circuits, not all. I suggest you read up on plit load boards before talking more bollocks.

Reply to
Lurch

force.

CRB

Reply to
crb

Neutral on the RCD swapped with one not so.

Reply to
<me9

I've seen plenty of non-split-load CU's for sale complete with RCDs at the likes of Screwfix (eg

I understand it's not a good idea to have all circuits protected by an RCD, but when/why would it be actually against regs to fit one of these as a whole-house CU?

David

Reply to
Lobster

I don't know about being "against the regs" but certain items, such as immersion heaters, can cause "nuisence trips" even though there's nothing wrong with them. That's why they should be connected to a non-rcd fed source.

Reply to
Dark Angel

He has somehow managed to get one or more neutrals wire to the "wrong" neutral bar in the Consumer Unit. This has been covered many times before so google is your friend

Reply to
John

I read this as all the time since rewiring

Reply to
John

Because the Regs require circuits to be separated so that a fault on one does not result in disconnection of others (etc). I've quoted what I think are the Regs being broken before.

That said, a recent Wiring Matters showed a whole-house RCD.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On or around Sat, 12 Nov 2005 10:17:36 GMT, Lobster mused:

application. I've got 2 boards here with front end RCD's, I've also got 2 with main switch incomers.

Reply to
Lurch

Given that interpretation then any board with two or more circuits on one RCD would fail to comply with regs. Surely this is a requirement only for overcurrent?

Reply to
Bob Watkinson

In article , Dark Angel writes

If theres nothing wrong with them, then they won't cause an RCD trip. When they do cause RCD trips then there is something starting to go wrong with them!.....

Reply to
tony sayer